I Forge Iron

Space Rock blade

Steve Sells

Charlotte nailed it. Multi stage problems proving it.

First I got the meteorite, tho I was told its Campo del Ceilo, One of the largest falls in the known world, and from Argentina. I do have the analysis of those, but my first issue remains that of my faith in the person I received it from.

Second I say used it to make some bars to use for layers in this billet. My word is all I have, even if I filmed the process, I can not prove I didn't edit it, and use that billet elsewhere, assuming I got meteorite in the first place.

Third I made the blade. Is that any good, or is my work crap?

Fourth, if a person really wants to try check, they can cut a section from the blade, (most likely ruining it as a blade) and test it. Now they have the cost of my blade plus the cost of testing. They will get a measurement of the mix of Wrought iron I used to work out the meteorite, and the carbon steel I layered it with to make the knife billet.

When they get a read out of elements in the sample. It would tell them, this sample contains X% of Fe, C and Mn (expected from the 1095) Si (expected from the wrought iron) and Ni, Co, Ir, Ga in amounts that is in relative proportion to a known ratio of those rarer elements found in Meteorites, but could also have been added from other sources, as there is nothing exclusive to the Campo meteorites than is not also found other places on Earth :(

It is the idea that I can, that motivated me to make this. :D So even if I can prove all these things, and have tests. In the end, my reputation is all I have to sell any blade anyway.

Edited by steve sells
typo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......or you could find superman, walk up to him, brandish the blade, and see if he loses his powers.....

If Steve Sells told me there is meteorite in it, I would take it that there IS meteorite in it.

"In the end, my reputation is all I have to sell any blade anyway" That works for me....

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I forgot to post the finished pics Sorry...
Bolster is white tail deer, handle material is Purple-heart

Good job Steve it shows command of the materials and an interest in moving into new areas where the comfort zone is not there..this is the way we learn and progress. I look forward to seeing your next piece.

If you care to look I have a space rock blade as well:
http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/Star_Facet.html
made by a slightly different method than yours.

Ric

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just a whiny little add on here: The question of why does Steve not write this up and post it for all to see has already been answered  by the lack of response to wot he and I did in the way of knife making lessons we toiled over and posted some time ago.

We stopped the live portion of them as on a given night we posted the new sessions there were barely ten folks attending. 

Almost daily here there are questions posted in the forum that ask us to once again type out basic help that are in those lessons.

I not longer type out the long form of those answers, I suggest to person hit the forums for the longer version with pictures..Many times I have folks in the chat room tell me they do not wish to read it all in the forum they would rather have me type it once again in the chat room. 

Dang I think I feel better now!

Here is billet we made last year from several meteorites we found in  Arizona or colorado I cant remember . It made nice billet.  I now know it was from Arizona near tuscon. weight is over  a lb.

with handle of mild steel, does not include weight of smaller one . Was thinking about some sanmai or damascus . I have never forged anything from a meteor. We had no problem making billet , went real slow ,

I imagine its like forging some wootz ,,,,, real slow . The smaller one is 8 oz.      ....... James .

post-48572-0-09217300-1386618472_thumb.j

post-48572-0-50615300-1386618488_thumb.j

post-48572-0-48432200-1386618506_thumb.j

post-48572-0-53264000-1386618525_thumb.j

post-48572-0-33423300-1386618546_thumb.j

post-48572-0-36943100-1386618589_thumb.j

post-48572-0-91269600-1386618629_thumb.j

Ease of forging depends on the chemistry of the particular meteorite; some are easier than others.

The meteorite Mogul Emperor Jahangir had Ustád Dáúd use to make blades around 1621---(an observed fall and the piece was still hot upon recovery!), had to be diluted 3 parts meteorite to 1 part normal steel. The blades made with it by this very skilled bladesmith were rated very high indeed.

A. (really probably 2) translation(s) of the original writings can be found here:

http://historicfalls.com/pre-scientific-falls/jalandhar-meteorite/

Very nice work, Steve. I appreciate the thorough explanations at each step in your process.

I will never be able to invest nearly enough money for a project the size of yours but it was fun watching and hearing you do it.

I use a tiny piece of the Del Sol find in each of my Damascus blades just to add a little 'magic'.

There was a heavy meteorite piece on ebay a few years ago that was nearly square. I bid right along on it planning on some thin, killer bolsters. At $800 my interest and means forced me to drop out.

When you hold the blade in good light how many colors can you make out?

Great projet, Steve.

I have meteorite envy!

Dave