I Forge Iron

Space Rock blade

Steve Sells

As for where I got the idea for using Meteorite? From Col, JPHrisoulas PhD ret. of Salamander Armory, and my former teacher: Bill Wyant, of Avalon Ironworks. These 2 men have given me skills and motivation to try more than just simple blade work.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,
thanks for the inspiration. I look forward to more info and pics. It is great to see what people who have been dedicated to developing this skill set for years are able to produce.

by the way, I was impressed by your work on the website. Thanks for taking the time and effort to show us new folk along and share your knowledge.

Kevin

Brilliant!! Great idea! and sounds well thought out, and planned, and I can't wait to see the pics of the blank! Congratulations on pushing the envelope!

Can't imagine that they charge .50 to $3US/lb does that give you any pause or worry to get the welds right?

You said they tend to shatter wen hit with a hammer. Do you know why? is it like heating cast iron and hitting it?

could you explain how theres 24 k layers, I saw here was 200 of one and 120 of another? But how does hat make 24,000
in any case its extra cool!!

First to correct the mis quote you made, its not 50+ cents and higher per lb, its 50+ cents per GRAM !!! for Campo Del Ceilo meteorite currently. that's 250 grams at $125.00 or more ! and it doesn't work well for blades in this state, it still need refined. As it shatters when heated and hit. that the reason for using the Can weld to start it so I don't loose it all over the floor of my shop.

After a pattern welded blade gets beyond about 1,000 layers the pattern tends to "wash out" meaning it is hard to see defined layers when they get so fine. because our eyes only see so much detail, like looking at a tree from far away, we see the green top but not any leaves. When closer we may see leaves and bark, but from distance, because there is to much detail to process, we see trunk and tree. The meteorite layer are the same way, with a magnifying glass you should see layers, but not with the necked eye, as its too fine to notice layering of the meteorite, rather is should appear to be a mono steel layer, as the only true way to get homogeneous layer with that rock is to melt it with the wrought in a crucible. But I did it the way our ancestors had to work out the bloom from their furnaces.

For a finished blade I can now use the meteorite as the bright layer. I am planning for around 200 layers in the final knife; should end up with about 100 layers of 1087, and 100 layers of the meteorite I blended with Wrought iron [that blending of wrought and rock is in-itself layered to 120 layers].

so for appearances.... I stated it is the equivalent of 24,000 layers, because 200 layers of blade when finished, multiply by the 120 layers of refining of the rock layer itself = 24,000. that is how thin the layering of the rocks and wrought become in their part of the final billet. at this point, I hope this is clearer what I meant.

Edited by steve sells
typos.

Steve, thanks for the explanation, was thinking more about what you were doing then what I was typing,

great explanation about layering, I don't know much about layering or billeting knives, so just trying to understand, in case it may come in handy later, because it is something I would like to try. I didn't understand that you did the can weld to 120 layers, then added that to the billet for another 200 layers.

looking forward to seeing your pictures

ok ok enough techical stuff, what about more pics.... I need more picssssss aggg

I like pics too... but all billets pretty much look alike at this stage :( its at 90 layers now and if I go back out to the shop later today: I will grind it clean and re fold to have 180 layers... Then maybe I will square it to 1/2 inch and twist for the cores, that could be exciting to watch. :rolleyes: Edited by steve sells
typo

ok ok enough techical stuff, what about more pics.... I need more picssssss aggg

I agree. Yer killin' us Smalls!! "Billets is billets." Phooy!!! This is STAR STUFF!! Pics please!!! :D Edited by Dodge
corrected punctuation

180 layers, a rough shape for a knife. I decided this section will be shark tooth, for lack of a better word. Its a variation of a ladder pattern, see the cuts? from almost half the depth, to a bit over half the width, to give a saw tooth look. I seem to have nicked the leg vise a bit, but its not the first time I did that .

after I flatten I will draw it out to proper thickness, then final shaping for all, including the currently weird looking tip.

14052.attach

Steve:

If you have an old table saw, you can mount a hot saw blade in it and make the ground cuts very precisely. Set a stop and a guide to keep the blade whatever angle you like and set the blade depth then go to town.

Looking forward to the next pics.

Frosty