I Forge Iron

Army Forge

SoCal Dave

I went to my friend's cattle ranch recently in Cuyama Valley, Ca. I took measurements of his very old coal forge. It's about 18" X 22", has a brick layer, and about a 4" round center with holes in it. I noticed metal handles on the side to lift it up. My friend said he believed it to be an army coal forge when he purchased it a thousand years ago. Is this possible? Did the Army make forges? It has a hand crank blower and a nice hood to.

yess the army had forges (and horses) on thru WW2 and ive owned a coal forge that was a army forge it was dezigned to come apart and all the parts go inside the box and make a compact (and heavy) package.. the bricks were probably added by a smith when it became a more permanent forge... i ended up selling mine without ever using it..

The picture is exactly what my friend's forge looked like. It did have angle iron legs, but I wasn't sure if he had made them. My friend thought he got it from the army. What a neat looking, compact forge. He had a hood with his. I'm not sure how long he has had his, but I know it has been many, many, many years. To bad, we can't get them at the war surplus store, Oh, they don't have stores like that anymore.

The British Army Forges were similar bodies but with the tue iron at the rear when the lid was lifted.
The Guild used one for many years at shows with an electric fan, and a slide valve assembly to control the air flow, using coal as a fuel.

• 1 month later...

As long as we are on the subject of grates. Cast or SS work best in my experience, mild steel will burn out quickly. I have SS grates in mine and it lasts pretty well. Cast grates will hold up. One thing about cast, and this goes for grates and fire pots, a splash of water will crack most in a heartbeat, so be careful when putting the fire out etc.

I have one of those portable army forges as pictured above. I was told by a very old blacksmith that it was a army forge and a lot of them got sold as army surplus I suppose after WWI.

They do not have a fire pit so that can be a bit of a challenge but if I made a nice mound of coke when forging I could easily burn up the piece i was working if i didn't pay attention. You could also get welding heats.

Chris

A friend of mine bnought one in unused condition from a place that used to deal in Army/Navy surplus. His was a naval version that had a powered blower but at some strange voltage so he just hooked a hand crank blower to it.

I once found a giant buffalo forge with all the bells and whistles: coal/water troughs, down draft exhaust, original hood, etc at a store on the west side of Columbus OH that was army surplus. Never had a fire in it! I found a fellow that wanted to buy it from them at their price which was over US$1000. Moved away and don't know if thet store found any others.

• 2 years later...

I bought one this past winter to help out some folks that needed to relocate. (He returned to the service and had trained under Peter Ross for 3 yrs) Mine is in near mint condition with a hand crancked Buffalo blower as pictured. Extremely smmmoooottttthhhh blower and moves a ton of air.

The USArmy still has horses and farriers. They are the First Cavalry Division's Horse Cavalry Detachment see here; http://www.hood.army.mil/1stcavdiv/horseDet/Default.asp And they are stationed in Fort Hood, TEXAS!

I've got one of those old army forges and I absolutely love it. You can take it down or put it togeather in 10 minutes or less. It makes a great travelling forge if your asked to do demos. I hang my most used tongs in the four carrying handles when its in use.

I have seen a different Buffalo version in a tech manual from WWII. My Dad told me that he had one in his mobile machine shop (van back on a 6x6) when he was in the army during WWII. The one in the tech manual had a curved clamshell top IIRC. It also had a list of the tools that were supposed to accompany it.

• 2 years later...