I Forge Iron

Mystery ring

Anyone have any idea how this might have been used? It's about 12" across and the hole is 9". The inside of the hole is more round then the outside of the ring but both are a little lopsided. One side is flat and the other rounded. You can see a mould line on the flat side. It seems to be steel and not cast iron.

Thanks

11933.attach

11934.attach

11935.attach

11936.attach

From Wikipedia, "Quoits (koits, kwoits) (Pronunciation: "k-waits") is a traditional lawn game involving the throwing of a metal or rubber ring over a set distance to land over a pin (called a hob or mott) in the centre of a patch of clay. It is closely related to horseshoe pitching and the fairground game hoopla. The game's centre of popularity is in parts of the North East England countryside. The game is also popular in parts of the Scottish lowlands, Wales and the Wensleydale, Swaledale, Beck Hole and areas of Yorkshire, England." ;-)

Quoits used to be very popular in pubs around here (Welsh Borders), in fact it's the only pub game I'm good at! Unfortunately it has died out. The indoor version was played with rubber rings about 4'' od, 2.5''id thrown at a horizontal board with two dishes and a peg in the middle. The outdoor game was similar to Horseshoes and was played in a sand pit with quoits about 6'' od, 4.5''id. Both types of ring were made from relatively flat material and were usually dished, The dome had to land upwards to score.

From Wikipedia, "Quoits (koits, kwoits) (Pronunciation: "k-waits") is a traditional lawn game involving the throwing of a metal or rubber ring over a set distance to land over a pin (called a hob or mott) in the centre of a patch of clay. It is closely related to horseshoe pitching and the fairground game hoopla. The game's centre of popularity is in parts of the North East England countryside. The game is also popular in parts of the Scottish lowlands, Wales and the Wensleydale, Swaledale, Beck Hole and areas of Yorkshire, England." ;-)

I would be very respectful of anyone who could toss this thing anywhere. It weighs at least 50 pounds!

Leg part for a ball and chain set? Frizby? What's the hoop game they play at CW reenactments where they roll the hoop around? INCOMING!!!;)
Sereously, I hope you have a power hammer. If not, my suggestion is to give it to somebody who does!:D
Toilet seat?:o I hope it has a built in heating element for the winter months!!!:D

Jolly the Green Giant's wedding ring?

Really though, that flat side is interesting, I have a feeling that it was flattened by having it beaten on, mabey used as a imprompto anvil.

The id looks clean and more true then not, hummm, mabey it was to slip over a giant drive shaft of some sort to act as a keeper, not likely though.

I would have to go with the connecting ring for an ancor.

Caleb Ramsby

Fred Flintstones spare tire. oops he had stone wheels.

As said earlier if you have a power hammer and it's wrought....

Sell for scrap and buy some more useful steel.

Door stop

Door knocker

If all else fails, ...candle holder.

I would never part with it because the chances of getting another one is 1 in a million in my life time. No mater how useless. If I couldn't figure out what to to with it, it would just remind me that I wasn't applying my creative abilities.

Have fun

I don't know about anchors.

I'm leaning towards elements idea.

I don't think that is wear on the outside just molded that way. The outside wasn't important that it be smooth. Sure looks like molded steel, not cast iron.

There are 2 depressions on either side that seem to line up, these could be for adding lubrication of some sort.

If it's not solid it's some new unknown material. It weighs at least 50 pounds (I"ll weigh it tomorrow.) The flat side really does look like it was molded that way. That line that Paul B mentioned looks to be a mold seam.

markb: I plan to keep it. I don't have a forge big enough to work it anyway. Right now I'm using to add weight to my vise stand.

I'm in Texas so it may have something to do with the oil industry.