I Forge Iron

Wrought iron

• 3 weeks later...

Well,I talked to the guy last night and the first price he shot out was a $100 a hoop!To me that sounds really high,but then I don't know what the going price for wrought is.I read somewhere that it can go for $1-2.00 a pound depending on the condition and quality but this stuff has been in the weather for some time so...... what do you all think?

Old wrought iron came in several grades according to how refined the grain structure was. Something like these hoops would have been made down to a price and as no significant work was to be done on them (forging, heavy bending etc.) they would have been the cheapest available.
Wrought iron, like most other metals hardens with age (precipitation) and the broken edges will appear crystalline, in this state it is not really usable and needs to be reforged at a very high temp into stock.
Scrap metal is scrap metal... Who else is going to buy it? Offer him a bottle of scotch (or the US equivalent) and let him stew for a few weeks.

There has been a gentleman selling wrought iron at Quad-State for under $2 a pound for over 10 years now.

Actually Bessemer steel took over from puddled wrought iron; bloomeries were really out of business several centuries before that as the blast furnace and the indirect process took over from bloomeries.

Now modern experimenters often use the bloomery process as it's fairly easy to do on a small scale.

I would keep in mind that scrap prices are way down from what they were early last summer. Also in my opinion a nice new straight piece of HR is better for most forging. I collected a pretty good supply of wrought iron years ago when I heard that it was easier to forge weld. Well, yes it may be, in the respect that you can get it hotter before it burns up. The flip side of that is that you also need to heat it to very near welding heat for every other operation also. Its great to work with the old stuff, it gave me more respect for the eons of smithing that was done with it. I don't think you should have to give a great premium for it. Another source of nice size wrought iron is the tie rods in old cast iron radiators.

Good Luck,Anvillain

I am working on a project reproducing, from an old photograph, an 800 foot wrought iron fence. We purchased several tons of old ship anchor chain re-rolled into 1"round, 1-1/2" round and 1"x3" flat bar from Chris Topp. This is a high grade iron that can actually be worked at much less than a welding temp without splitting, well very little splitting.
It is expensive. I don't have the figures by the pound but by the foot it cost us $25 for the 1', $35 for the 1-1/2 and $75 for the flat bar.
We have an armed guard over the drops. :)

I would keep in mind that scrap prices are way down from what they were early last summer. Also in my opinion a nice new straight piece of HR is better for most forging. I collected a pretty good supply of wrought iron years ago when I heard that it was easier to forge weld. Well, yes it may be, in the respect that you can get it hotter before it burns up. The flip side of that is that you also need to heat it to very near welding heat for every other operation also. Its great to work with the old stuff, it gave me more respect for the eons of smithing that was done with it. I don't think you should have to give a great premium for it. Another source of nice size wrought iron is the tie rods in old cast iron radiators.

Good Luck,Anvillain

Good advice here Anvillain.

Use your steel budget for new straight stock. You could buy 1018 cheaper than this guy wants for silo rings and be waaay ahead.

Hello Nett:
I was interested in your wood turnings in the picture. They are are beautiful. Is ironwood a desirable wood for this. and is this ironwood in the pictures? I have an abundance, (or a plague) of ironwood. In fact here in Illinois part of my prescribed forestry program on a place I have involves cutting ironwood, poplar, Black locust in order to permit more hardwood growth like oak, maple, hickory. Oh also some wet areas are literally overgrown with American Hornbeam. It has a very ridged, but smooth texture. A very interesting looking tree, but I don't know of any demand for it, except some use as an ornamental.
Anvillain

I don't know how large these hornbeam will get. The biggest one I have is about 8" dia.
I think the most desirable stump here is sweetgum. I really messed up a few years back. Someone brought me some from a tree trimming job, thinking I could use it for firewood. I have a hydraulic splitter, but it wouldn't split that. And it was also unseasoned. I took it to the recycle yard run by the city. But at the time I didn't know what it was. :(