• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2009 at 2:36 PM, BeaverDamForge said:

I was introduced to gasifiers and built mine in this thread:
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/fuel-5001/

Hello BeaverDamForge. thank you for your comments. I am wanting to know more about this gasifier forge you built but alas when I click the link it redirects me back to the corn forge topic. which is frustrating because that is where I found the link. Could you help me with a different link? or the title of that discussion? 

• 3 months later...

So I have a corn forge at this time. First time starting is slow, but every one after the first gets easier. It seems the heat and consumption rate vary dependent on forge design...

My first design chewed through corn like mad, was hard to keep up with. The second design I used half the corn I did with the first design but got more burn time out of less fuel.

I'll be honest I am new to forging this year so these are just short term observations by an obvious rookie....

My 2 cents on making charcoal here in the 'burbs of Chicago:

It is similar to what Frosty suggested. I bought a used and cleaned 55 gallon drum for 20 bucks through one of those local marketplace apps. I punched holes all around the bottom sides of the drum to let air in. I then fill a small (30gal?) metal galvanized trash can with the wood I want to become my forge charcoal. Laying both on their side, I slide the galvy can into the 55 drum with the top facing the bottom of the 55 drum (upside down when both standing upright). Center the can and surround it with scrap wood, light it and let it burn for about 2 to 3 hours, adding more scrap here and there. Too much smoke means it's not being very efficient; you want to see flames surrounding it. 

After that I take the remaining charcoal out and scatter it on either concrete or dirt and mist it with a garden hose til it cools to the touch. I get my scrap wood from local businesses that throw away their wood pallets. I have heard pallets can make decent charcoal too, but I have yet to try it. 

For bigger batches at one time, just fill the 55 drum with the wood you want as charcoal, seal it closed and install a small chimney or punch holes at one end and lay the drum horizontally over a raised fire pit for a few hours. Tend the fire in the pit.

Red

On 9/16/2020 at 12:11 PM, DaddyKraken said:

So I have a corn forge at this time. First time starting is slow, but every one after the first gets easier. It seems the heat and consumption rate vary dependent on forge design...

Do you have any pictures of your designs?  I am just starting out and am going to try charcoal to see if I enjoy forging.  I plan on trying corn out as a my alternative, since I have access to a bin full of corn.

Welcome aboard ac160. The best forge for charcoal is a side draft (not sure of corn) they are easy to build and modify as needed. Check out the JABOD threads. here are a couple that are informative.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52623-anatomy-and-a-brief-history-of-simple-side-blast-forges/

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/44842-just-a-box-of-dirt-or-a-simple-side-blast-forge/

If you put your location in your profile, you may be surprised how many members are near you. If you are close to me you are welcome to try several forges.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, ac160 said:

Do you have any pictures of your designs?  I am just starting out and am going to try charcoal to see if I enjoy forging.  I plan on trying corn out as a my alternative, since I have access to a bin full of corn.

Mine is just a basic V shaped forge. Half inch pipe with holes running through the base of the V of friebricks...

• 10 months later...

I just built my first forge and I sm going to try a mixture of corn with the rice coal from tractor supply. Seeing as I have seen how the corn is good to forge with but does not last as long I got an idea to buy a bag of the rice coal from tractor supply for 6.99 to mix with a 50# bag of feed corn to try and make it burn longer and not need to keep constant air to it like you do the antharcite nut coal. By itself the rice coal is no good to forge with but mixing it with the corn the sugars should bind it together and coke up with the corn and that means I would have 90# of fuel for less then a 25# bag of bituminous from Amazon.