I Forge Iron

Chain for Cannister Damascus: a warning

JHCC

This image is from a listing in my local industrial surplus place. I was thinking that this chain might be good for making cannister damascus, until I noticed how big the links are. For scale, that's a standard 40" x 48" pallet it's sitting on.

20240403084029663_L.JPG

Caveat emptor!

Good Morning,

There is a Cafe, here on the Island, made from retired 2" Wire Rope (main Line for High Lead Logging). It is called the 'Cable Cafe'.

If you make a Door Frame, that would be 'the Entrance to the Chain of Command'. LOL

Neil

Last week, I was watching one of those makeover shows, and the homeowner had mounted a TV on the end of the stub wall that separated their living room and dining room, so you could swivel it either way.  The host was making fun of it, because whichever way you turned it, it stuck out pretty far into the passage between the rooms.

I kept thinking:  If one had a couple of short lengths of heavy roller chain. . . 

They would make serious gate and door hinges wouldn't they? 

On that note if you built one into both leaves or the leaf and frame of a gate / door so they came together when it closed you could hang the padlock inside where it was protected.

Frosty The Lucky.

Plus the drive to get it or shipping.  Even handling it would be tough for someone like me. 

That isn't bad compared to the potential of what you could sell the finished work for. A chain it a chain, sculptural art is subjective. Make something desirable out of it and you could make thousands. 

You can drive the pins out and handle it one link at a time. Hmmm, make a 3 lobed master link for interestingness say a tree or saguaro cactus?

Bicycle chain bonsai?

Frosty The Lucky.