I Forge Iron

Ring!!!

This past weekend, I finally got my anvil back from a buddy who ran the working face through a surface grinder to remove a couple bad spots. Someone must have done something repetitive in the same area of the face in years past. it is a circa 1841 William Foster anvil. I might be nuts, many say that I am, but it seems like after the surface grinding, that thing REALLY Rings now when struck--it strikes me that this might not be a bad thing, and the working face is nice and flat too. Just thought this was cool, Thanks, Andy

Andy, an anvil that rings really loudly can (over a period of time) damage your hearing.

Wrapping the chain around the waist of the anvil does work. I have 4 wrapps of chain around my Peter Wright. I'm not sure if it works on all anvils or not, but it works on mine.

I have a 2 in. x12 in. x 16 in. chunk of iron I've also been using for small work.

It rang so loudly I thought I would have to quit using it.....but I draped a loop of chain over each side of the face........problem solved.

Now I just have to be careful not to hit the chain when hammering........

9045.attach

I have to agree with using chain to reduce the ring. I have also had some success with a large magnet (part of an old speaker) placed under the back of the anvil. Just don't block the hardy or pritchel and you should be good.
hope that helps ya :)

There is such a Blueprint.

Several methods were discussed, magnets, chain, carriage bolts, anvil bases, glue, and even ear plugs. I find the chain, the carriage bolts, and anvil bases solutions work best. A combination of two or more work even better.

Yes, it does seem to ring more after the surface grinding, that was my main point, just thought this was interesting, but I do appreciate all of the good advice on quieting it down a bit, and I am already a firm believer in hearing & eye protection. Thanks, Andy

Ring is handy at a demo to bring in a crowd; but not a good thing if you end up having to spend a couple thousand dollars an ear for hearing aids later. Protect your hearing from the *START* as it doesn't get better if you wait till you have lost it before trying to protect what's left!

Okay, here's a totally intuitive thought as to why your anvil is louder after surface grinding than before.

Ringing is caused by resonant vibrations. The chain, magnets, wood, silicone, felt, etc. used to deaden the ring do so by damping vibrations, they take the resonance out of the anvil.

Now, before you had the face ground it had a worn spot or sway caused by years of work. The area that was worn down would've not only been worn down but work hardened, the lesser worn areas less so.

Resonance doesn't carry so well across areas of varying density, hardness, etc. For example, bell makers go to great lengths to ensure proper cooling rates as a single hard spot can ruin the sound of a bell.

A simple experiment would be to make a dinner triangle from a tool steel, say coil spring. Normalize and give a listen, then harden just one side and see what it sounds like.

Maybe? Hmmmm?

Frosty

m brothers (or his teacher) has hit on the simplest most effective method i have yet to come accross.

The nose cone I use is made by a spiral of 1/4 rd. I wrapped around the horn. Added a little curl on each end - one to hook on the screen door spring and the other, left a little sticking out, for a handle to slip it on and off.

These are truely effective, light and elegant (for a blacksmith).

Woodeye

I have thought about this question and I believe that Frosty is somewhat right. It is my thought process though that by removing the high spots that I would assume would be at the ends of the face, just before the horn and over the heal that you made the heal thinner. This thinner surface will require less energy to resonate and thus a louder ring.

9074.attach

Fellas just as an aside here, always wear ear protection. Over the years from exposure to noises such as the anvil ringing can cause tinnitus, and I can assure you that you do not want this.
Not from forging but from other exposures over the years it finally caught up with me and I have a constant sound some what like a pork chop frying in grease and the beginnins of a burnt bearing going in my head 24/7. It really takes some time to come to grips with it and I would not wish it on anyone. It is also accompanied by hyperacusis in my case, some sounds sound considerably louder to me and change tone. I have to wear ear plugs in the shower and also at church . Hearing loss would be mild to this.
Take my advise and protect your hearing, especially you fellas with the power hammers and ringing anvils.

Jerry Fisher

I have thought about this question and I believe that Frosty is somewhat right. It is my thought process though that by removing the high spots that I would assume would be at the ends of the face, just before the horn and over the heal that you made the heal thinner. This thinner surface will require less energy to resonate and thus a louder ring.

Good hypothesis! If not the reason probably a strong contributor and much more likely than my thought.

Frosty

If you think of the surface of the plate as a drum skin, the flatter and more homogenous it is, the more likely it is to resonate at or around a single frequency. In other words to concentrate all the energy into a single tone. Any dimples or hard spots in a drum skin would break up a wave that tries to vibrate across the whole surface requiring a mix of frequencies and harmonics and so giving more of a thud than a ping.

I guess that was a long winded way of saying - yeah I agree :)

Edited by maddog

I don't think that thinner nesecarily = louder, I would think it is more of an issue with pitch, the thinner it is = a higher pitch, also combiined with the reduction of high and low spots as well as the work hardend spots.
My Dad suffers from tinnitus from too many years working on and around jets for the Air Force and from what he describes it is not something I would wish on anyone and especially do not want it myself, so by all mean protect you ears and eyes, they are two things that are really a one shot deal, once you lose them their gone.

welder19

Thinner does not equate to smaller and overall size is what determines the pitch of bells.

So, my larger and thicker Trenton should be both louder and lower pitched than my Sodorfors? Unfortunately for us amateur wannabe acoustic specs the reverse is true. Undamped the Sodorfors will make your ears ring through muffs and plugs while the Trenton is only loud.

Not a fair comparison of course, different steels and processes all round.

Still no expert me.

Frosty

Andy, an anvil that rings really loudly can (over a period of time) damage your hearing.

Wrapping the chain around the waist of the anvil does work. I have 4 wrapps of chain around my Peter Wright. I'm not sure if it works on all anvils or not, but it works on mine.

I have a 2 in. x12 in. x 16 in. chunk of iron I've also been using for small work.

It rang so loudly I thought I would have to quit using it.....but I draped a loop of chain over each side of the face........problem solved.

Now I just have to be careful not to hit the chain when hammering........

Jayco, I'll trade you an anvil for that block of steel........