I Forge Iron

post vice

waianvil

Waianvil, it depends on what you are going to use it for.

1. bench vise, for filing, twisting and other hand work. standing beside it with your arm down by your side and bent up at the elbow, your elbow should just rest on top of the jaws.

2. pounding anvil, close to the anvil and used for a lot of hot work. Same height as anvil or about 6 inches taller.

Like anything else you must decide what you are gonna use it for the most.

There was a time when I was an actual working smith, that I considered an adjustable height anvil. I took a picture of this anvil at a hammer in in Missouri and liked the idea of the pipe flange and pipe bolted to the floor. Then the light bulb clicked on and I got the idea to remove most of the leg and fasten the vise to a piece of pipe that slides up and down on another piece of pipe inside like the adjustable hitches on fifth wheel camper trailers and use a series of holes for a pin to go thru both pieces and then two sets of set screws set at 90 degrees to each other to take the slack out when using it.

Another option would be to find an old Semitrailer Dolly Jack and put a flange on the bottom to fasten to the floor, so you could just crank the vise to the proper height you needed for the job at hand.

8892.attach

Edited by irnsrgn

Post vises came from the factory in a number of different heights as measured from the top of jaws to the bottom of the foot ball. I have several around the shop and use different ones for different tasks.

I have a regular bench vise that mounts on the crank table for my large drill press that is a great one to use to prevent back/neck/arm strain when I'm fitting a guard or grip.

Here's a pic of mine - 44" to the top of the jaws. I find the height OK, but given my height (5'7"), I wouldn't go higher. I think for finer/delicate work, higher may be better (good visibility too) and for heavier work, better leverage and being more "over" the work may be an advantage.
Mike

8921.attach

I have 3 post vises in the shop. One is at chest height for close filing, one at elbow height for general work and one at anvil height. It is a full length leg vise buried in the soil along with the mounting post and allows a full hammer swing.

I think elbow height might be the most flexible but as others stated, each position has strengths depending on the work.

How would you adjust the height of your post vise? Doesn't the leg decide how high it is? Mines at about 40" and other than cutting the leg, don't see how I would shorten it. I guess burying it would be an option if it was planned to be permanent... I'm guessing that's what you're all talking about right. Mines on a cement floor so I don't have that option. I can see wanting another one, more towards anvil height though for swinging a hammer.

How would you adjust the height of your post vise? Doesn't the leg decide how high it is? Mines at about 40" and other than cutting the leg, don't see how I would shorten it. I guess burying it would be an option if it was planned to be permanent... I'm guessing that's what you're all talking about right. Mines on a cement floor so I don't have that option. I can see wanting another one, more towards anvil height though for swinging a hammer.

you should have aprox 2 inches adjustment at the mounting bracket ;where it secures the spring

The bottom leg is just there to take any downward force applied to the top jaws as in hammering, its much solider than most benches its mounted on, just cut the bottom leg off the right amount to get the height you want. Oh, and keep the cut off piece in case you want to reattach it at a later date.

Just attached a few pics, The no leg one is attached to the front corner of my forge, and can easily be removed if needed. ( I sometimes use it to grip bars in panels and gates when rivetting them in position) the bottom anchor is just a piece of substantial angle with a hole for the stub of the leg to fit into, and it bears on the pivot bracket, this means I can hit items down for rivetting or jumping up, and sideways or front to back for bends.

The freeestanding one with tool racks is the one I take to demos, the Y legs have pads unerneath so it stands level on uneven surfaces, and they can be staked down at the demo. It is also at a convenient height for using to file stuff when its standing in the workshop.

The bench mounting one is not as solid as the ones with leg, but does come in useful.

8922.attach

8923.attach

8924.attach

8925.attach

8926.attach

I know 2 brothers who have a locksmith business. One is a foot taller than the other. In the early days they had to share a vice so it was set up for the big guy and the smaller one had a small, wooden platform which he put in front of the vice to raise himself to the correct height. Fortunately they have done very well and can now afford a vice each!

The end of the post from my vice is in bracket which I made for the purpose. It is a piece of plate with a short piece of heavy walled pipe welded on and the whole thing anchored into the concrete with expanding bolts. It works well as my vice is completely fixed. It is actually welded to the steel top of the bench!

I like my vises at 43" from the floor. It works well for a guy who is only 5'-8" ---
I think if you are 6' or more it wouldn't be to comfortable for you tho.:)

As others have pointed out it also depends on the type of work you are doing.

Edited by ietech
correction