Somthin Fishy!

TWISTEDWILLOW

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I start my fry pan heating! 

I put the butter in!

And when that butter's smokin toss the trout on in.

A little salt and pepper and you're talking Mouth WATERIN!

Now I'm hankering for some nice pan sized brookies.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah, that was plenty large enough to need filleting. 

Dad and I mostly fished for brook trout which run pan sized, 9" being a monster. The way we cooked them was cleaned but not scaled and salted on the inside. Hot pan with the butter just starting to smoke and a fresh trout goes in. Sometimes they were so fresh you had to hold them down or they'd flop out of the pan. (Yes, into the fire until you learned to not let them.) When they started to crisp up a little where the tail meets the meat we'd flip them, the second side always cooked a little faster as it was already hot. 

The trick for eating trout Dad taught me was to separate the meat at the tail with a fork and just lift the cooked fillet off the skeleton and lower it into your mouth while pealing the skin with your other hand. Eating fresh trout was indeed a two handed affair for us. The fin bones stayed on the skin. We could eat them as fast as they cooked. 

We only got fancy when we caught large trout about the size of yours and up. Lemmon pepper sounds good.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Wow this thread took off since I was away! Thanks for everyone who shared! 
I’ve been doing extensive fishing over the last few months, there’s a few people who can attest to that since I constantly blow their phones up with fish pictures! Lol

MJ I haven’t tried trout fishing yet but plan to do so this fall on the lower Illinois below tenkiller dam I can’t wait! That fish looks beautiful!

Speaking of trout, my very last big job as a custom cabinetmaker was building an L-shaped, three-level display cabinet and sales counter for the American Museum of Fly Fishing in Manchester, VT. They moved to another location several years later, and rumor has it that the counter made its way to a local school for some purpose or other. 

If any of y'all find yourselves in Vermont, the museum is worth a visit. Even if you're not into fishing, the level of craftsmanship involved in fly tying and rod building is pretty amazing.

Jerry, 

Been busy all summer dealing with a lot real estate stuff on a few different properties, busy in the repair shop with customers, and a vacation to Branson,

been fishing on the weekends, ca I won a fishing competition/tournament thing here a couple months ago, an actually I just got back from the creek a few minutes ago! Caught a handful of baby bass an one little pumpkin seed sunfish

Max has started school so that’s a new adventure, he will be playing soccer this fall in the little 3 year old league, so that’s gonna be hilarious watching a bunch of toddlers chase a ball around 

so yeah just been buzzing around doin a little bit of everything, 

John

that’s sounds cool! do they have a website where I can check them out? 

IMG_9375.jpeg

IMG_9376.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

IMG_9380.jpeg

IMG_9379.jpeg

IMG_9381.jpeg

IMG_9382.jpeg

IMG_9383.jpeg

Hi Billy.  The river was my favorite get-away for some solitude.  We had a boat but sometimes I went on a smaller river, 12 miles out of town on the gravel roads then a hike across a big bean field and I went at night.  Only an occasional freight train crossing the old river bridge to disturb.  Good to see you post.

15 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

pan sized

Joking aside, I always enjoyed the brim for that reason. That and you could not buy them in the store. 

My father bought a small boat Like this one and we would pickup and load on top of the Buick.  Had a small trawling motor and we could get off the shore and get to the best fishing spots.  

Some very fond memories of that. 

Screenshot_20230827_075111_DuckDuckGo.jpg

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Those aren't nightcrawlers or crickets

Nah we use crank baits, 

17 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

pan sized

Yeah and they are a blast to catch too! I use ultralight rods an reels on the creeks an sometimes on the  river, with 4lb test and micro baits so even a little fish is a fight 

17 hours ago, Scott NC said:

Only an occasional freight train crossing the old river bridge to disturb

That’s about how it is where I go on the Barren fork, just a lonely train whistle once in awhile, but I fish early morning, I try to get out there just before sunrise 

Candidquality 

we’ve got a couple kayaks and an ol beat up aluminum flat bottom jon boat for bigger puddles, they come in handy 

Ive been taking Max fishing on some mornings an afternoons and I just set him up with a worm a bobber and he goes complete ballistic when he gets a bite and reels it in! Lol

he has had a ball all summer and asks me pretty frequently to take him fishing now, he’s not afraid of anything, he wants to handle the fish and worms and get in the water lol

last weekend I took him up on the Illinois river just north of me a little ways and that little turkey kept trying to get out in the current so I had to watch him like a hawk, at one point he grabbed hold of a rock and held on and let the water just pull him horizontal lol

IMG_9335.jpeg

IMG_9270.jpeg

IMG_9031.jpeg

IMG_8936.jpeg

IMG_8937.jpeg

IMG_8848.jpeg

Billy, Good to see back on the site. Looks like Max is having a great time, keep it up and enjoy every minute. my youngest daughter used to go with me almost every time I hooked up the boat, until she turned 13 and got other ideas in her head. When she was 8 she hooked a 5 ft gator and fought it all the way to the boat and got mad at me when I cut the line because she wanted to bring it home to show her mom and older sister. 

That was pretty unreasonable of you Les. Sounds like my Dad, we were trout fishing one afternoon when I got a solid strike and found myself reeling in a rattlesnake. I yelled "LOOK" at Dad, he turned and said "Don't play with the rattle snakes Butch," reached over with his cigarette and burned my line. I didn't think about it till years later but am bummed to think the snake probably got trapped and died when the fishing line got tangled. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Les L said:

When she was 8 she hooked a 5 ft gator and fought it all the way to the boat and got mad at me when I cut the line because she wanted to bring it home to show her mom and older sister

Omg!!! That’s the best fishing story I’ve heard all week!!! Lol

well we don’t have gators in Adair county Oklahoma but we do have four different species of Gar and I’ve been trying to get one of them on the line so far no luck