I Forge Iron

Somthin Fishy!

TWISTEDWILLOW

That behavior I know Randy! Your Red tail is watching for you to flush prey for it and knowing where you're going it can fly just ahead safely.

If farm country hawks will often fly ahead of the combines for flushed prey. Unfortunately they sometimes cut it too close themselves.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’ve got a flock of hawks here around the property they get pretty rambunctious every now an then fighting with crows and chasing prey 

A couple months ago I had a big ol fat red tailed hawk set in front of the house just ten foot off the porch 

we got a bunch of owls too, 

one night a couple months ago I was on the fishing dock on the pond in the pitch black fishing for perch, and a big ol owl swooped above my head and landed in a tree about twenty feet from me, sounded like an air plane and scared the bejesus out of me 

I grabbed a light an shined it on him and he didn’t like that much so he took off

saw another pretty big owl setting on the fence the other day around dusk he was looking for dinner in the field 

the biggest owls we have here are the Great Horned Owls and those dudes are flat Massive, I think they are the largest owls in North America,

man those guys skip over the mice and jump onto bigger animals like skunks and possums 

we see Bald Eagles here through out our winters but they leave out in the spring 

Most of the owls around here are barn owls. Those big white moon faced ones. Not quite as big as a horned owl but still a pretty good sized bird. 

Red tails are, according to some Native Americans, the spirit animal of artists. So maybe it is not just hunting but seeing as how you work in clay and iron as an artist, visiting you and giving you it's blessing. 

We hear horned owls talking here pretty often, even see one once in a while. 

I don't know how many kinds we have here but over the state there are 10 recognized I think.

We were changing location on a drilling job somewhere along the Copper River. I was following the track drill in the tool van a 100' or so back and a little owl, maybe 4-5" tall lands on the side mirror frame right next to me. I softly said, "Well hello," it's head snapped around to look me up and down then went back to watching the drill trundling along at a fast walking pace. After less than a minute it took off  and nabbed a little critter flushed by the drill, circled back the way we'd come and flew off.

I could've reached out and touched it, it was the second closest I've come to a wild owl and it is one of those Kodak minutes. I believe it was a "Northern Saw-Whet" owl.

The closest was one day cross country skiing in the early 70s. I had a fur hat on and got struck from behind. For a second I thought a branch had snapped me but it was the wrong direction and my hat got carried a good 40'. A couple skiing behind me were really excited being in plain view of the attack. It was silent as a shadow and so was my little mirror rider. 

Frosty The Lucky.

image.png.90977a2acb7f209657be33eacf9ad037.png

• 3 weeks later...

Caught a ton of perch or sunfish whichever you want to call them and small mouth bass today, locals refer to small mouth as brownies or brown bass,

but my favorite is this little guy, they call them pumpkin seeds, and they fight like a fish ten times their size lol 

I like them because they are so bright in color with orange and blue colors, the picture really doesn’t do it justice and capture the beauty of these 

IMG_0859.jpeg