I Forge Iron

Gas Forge Stand

ILoveSteel

Here's a stand I made for my single burner Mr. Volcano forge.  

I picked up a scrap brake disc from a local auto parts store, welded a 1/8th thick precut circle to it.  Next was some leftover DOM tube I had as the main stem.  Cooling shelf is expanded steel and angle bracket.  Top is 3/16th" thick 12"x12" plate (just the right size and I already had on hand).  The edges are also 3/16", welded and then ground down for aesthetic reasons.  Overbuilt but heavy enough that it won't tip over or rock.  Portable too so I can relocate in my garage when I want to fire the forge up!

received_1173968796518471.jpeg

Thomas, thank you for the recommendation!  Continuous improvement is an idea I can get behind.  That would work well when straightening out RR rail anchors, as I weld a section of rebar to the end of an anchor as a handle, it becomes handle-heavy.

Screenshot_20230108-054333_Gallery.jpg

Good Morning,

The Bigger/Larger/Wider and Heavier, you can make the Base, the better. You have a lot of leverage from the forge at the Top, to the Base. The Forge when hot, does not want an ACCIDENT, if you bump it. Your first reaction will be to try to grab it!!!!!!!!!

Your top plate doesn't look like there is room for bricks to partially cover the open ends. The back can/will be blocked off and the front will have an access hole/slot near the bottom to allow Tong access. Heat rises, so you can block across the top, of the front. This will allow the interior to stay hot and you can adjust your Propane pressure down. You may find that you will leave an opening/slot at the back, to act as a chimney. For the Burners to work - IN, you must allow for a chimney - OUT.

Neil

Swedefiddle, thank you.  To address top-heaviness, I feel it's not a worry, as the brake disc holds a lot of weight, and the DOM tube is thick wall, lots of mass as well).  Brake disc is flush with the floor as well.

My top plate does have enough room to have a firebrick front and rear, and I do use those to trap heat.

Here's a pic (I thought was cool) of some indeliberate heat treatment done to the top panel.  It also shows one of my bricks in place. 

20230104_111408.jpg

Nice stand, ILoveSteel.  You seem satisfied as to it's stability, however it would be a simple matter to weld some angle iron (angle, pipe, whatever) legs on all four corners.  Then you could remove the rotor or leave it on for more ballast as you see fit.  Safety suggestions are SOP around here...:)

Mr_Gixxer, Scott NC, JHCC-

With three suggestions to further secure the base, I will think about your recommendations and make further adjustments.  I realize that I am in the virtual company of people who have far more smithing knowledge and experience than I have, so it is wise to take that given advice.  Thank you for being courteous in your responses.

This is the only forge stand I've ever designed and fabricated, my intent was to be a floor space saver in my 2 car garage, trying to avoid taking up too much horizontal space with all of my tools and other fun stuff.  Again I will brainstorm on further improvements and share.

I've tried making rotors work before, welds just pop right off in my experience. They are very enticing to use for stuff around the shop though, I get it. Bolting to these might be a better alternative, if you still can run a couple holes through the base plate and tighten it down. Just hate to see a running forge fall over when you turn your back.

I like the addition of the shelf, I might try that to one of my forges. Can't have too many "catch alls" for tools around the shop after all. Happy smithing!

I appreciate that!   I might cut off that rotor after all, I did experience different cooling contraction rates when the circle on top of the rotor (thin metal) and the rotor itself (thick metal) were cooling off,  I didn't preheat nor wrap that assembly with a welding blanket to control cooling of the weld, and I could hear the tell-tale "ping" sounds of weld cracking.   I felt that with a full bead all the way around that I could get by.  

I have a stockpile of various angle, channel, flat bar et cetera that a new base could be fabricated from.  Maybe some diagonal bracing to the column as well.

Good Morning,

Brake Rotors and Drums are Cast Iron, that is because cast Iron will take a lot of heat without deforming. Cast Iron will not stay welded to almost anything, it normally cracks the weld when initially cooling (different material=different cooling rates). It  is all part of learning.

Neil

ILS, I've attached some pictures of a stand I made for my volcano forge. It's 37 inch high, so I don't have to bend over, has a 22 inch base with wheels and adjustable tool rest, that folds to the side when not in use. It is very stable and easy to move around in the shop or transport to our club meetings. This is the first of three I have made for two volcano forges and a three burner majestic for our club. If you put wheels on one I suggest installing all swivel, I put two straight and two swivel on the first and will be changing it to all swivel. due to the ease of moving them to different locations. We use the on concrete, stone, and dirt with no trouble. Hope this gives you some ideas.

1198489926_Forgestand.thumb.jpg.581ea2fa8235e8094f8363072959e295.jpg

1292577088_forgerestextended.thumb.jpg.6067e7e37f233ad25c296cb4672c303c.jpg

2052136000_Forgerest.thumb.jpg.a2ac53ed4b30dd0f1495fbd4244bd41e.jpg

1690582411_forgerestgrip.thumb.jpg.72963c3b0b57b78610388d486ce609b5.jpg

Good Morning,

I have used recycled Bar-B-Que stands. They just need some minor tack welding to stiffen up the frame. You can add or subtract whatever you want. It also has 2 wheels, so it is portable. No neighbor fusses about a Bar-B-Que sitting outside, when you are done.

Neil

I put fire bricks under the forge, thinking I needed that for insulation, because I wanted to store the gas bottle under the forge. After using it I would use expanded metal, or sheet metal, under the forge because there is not enough heat below the forge to be an issue 

• 2 months later...

Hello all! Back after improvements made.

First of all, my advice for other Mr. Volcano owners-be aware that low tank pressures will cause the flame to back travel to the burner tube,  melting the hose (see picture).  To remedy this, I installed a 3/8" flared 90° elbow to have a better angle for the hose, and to angle it away from any possible flames.  New 5/16" I.D. hose too.

Added a Harbor Freight tank level meter.  Although no numerical PSI reading on it, the gauge shows "remaining" fuel level in the tank (I had a Harbor Freight gift card burning a hole in my wallet, so no $ of my own spent!)

The biggest change was making the base heavier and more secure.  I had some scrap railroad rail collecting dust, so I fabricated a square frame from angle iron to hold the two rails, and added casters to the base.  I welded in a 3/16" plate between the two rails, and rewelded the pole and rest of the stand to the new base.

I also welded in a back plate to hold fire bricks, closing off the back end for better heat retention.  Definitely getting hotter quicker.

Much much more secure now, I do appreciate the recommendations to make things better!

Screenshot_20230312-165340_Gallery.jpg

20230312_165355.jpg

20230312_165406.jpg

20230312_165428.jpg

20230312_165438.jpg

20230312_165444.jpg

20230312_165505.jpg