Fall Clean Up

Scott NC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, Jerry, I like happy art as well.  :)

I made that for a close friend that owns a mowing service.  Such a simple little piece but as he turned it around in his hands, studying it, I watched his face.  I like those reactions.   So it's all about the fun.

Thanks, Aric.  Man, I wish I had thought of Whistle While You Work as a title for this.

I have gotten very few negative reactions.  I have produced some real clunkers in my time though....;)  Those usually wind up back in the scrap heap from whence they came....

Why can I picture that re-sculpture in my minds eye so clearly?  ;)

Usually I just bust a dud apart with a hammer and toss the parts on the scrap pile/shelf/barrel.  There was one though, so utterly gone wrong, so hidious, I hauled it to work and just pushed it in the scrap rolloff.  I didn't even want the parts from it.  I was told later someone from a different shift dug it out and took off with it.  He probably whistled the whole way home.

There is someone out there that would love a thing so much that they would struggle to drag it out of a dumpster and drag it home. Even those that love things so horribly made that they find them amusing and would love to have them. 

They would probably even pay money for it.  That right person only needs to see it and know it exists. 

I have some unfinished flops in and around my shop. One day I might finish them or use them for something else. 

I don't have much I have fully given up on. I have even taken some "flops" and put them on the sales table for the fun of it and put a justifiably lower price on them and they usually have sold that day. Ya never know what someone will see in a piece of work or art. 

It wasn't hidious in the ugly or poorly made sense of the word.  It was a sculpture of Hephaestus.  Actually, it was of the best quality I had done up to that point, I just couldn't stand to look at it.  It just kind of evolved out of nothing.  It crossed some boundries that I couldn't tolerate (I won't go into that here), just like there are some movies I won't watch and some books I won't read.  That's why I didn't even want the parts from it, those I can find anywhere.  If that guy appreciated it, that's his thing.  I should have taken it directly to the magnet and watched it go in the crusher.  It's out there though.

On a lighter note, after that I moved on to more natural things like bugs, fish, birds and reptiles.  I still like making wierd stuff from time to time, tho.... :)  I just watch where I am going with it.

You made a lot of good points and I get so much inspiration and knowledge from reading your comments, I didn't mean to sound like I was discounting.  It was just that one sculpture.  I might have been better not to mention it.  I go off the rails into the canyon as usual..... :). Thanks Aric.

No worries. There was nothing wrong with mentioning it. I wasn't thinking of that kind of reason so it is something else to think about. We are all learning and getting inspiration from each other.

I think I remember either a thread or part of one discussing making or not making things outside of ones moral or ideological belief or comfort zone. That was years ago but I'm sure it's here somewhere in the forum.