I Forge Iron

Fall Clean Up

Scott NC

When you get ready I'm sure someone on Iforge will be willing to help you brainstorm crazy ideas. I always thought a "lightning" bug with a "Jacobs Ladder" antennae would look great in the yard. . . Someone who could afford the electric bill's yard that is. 

How about a 6' long robot watch bug that'd chase intruders off the property?

Bugs are fun. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or a well fed wood tick made out of an old 20 lb propane tank?  Lot's of grisly detail posibilities I'll not mention...... :)  Jacobs Ladder on a bugs antennaes would be cool.  I have plans for a Wimshurst machine I'll probably never build but I have ideas how to adapt it to a sculpture.  The big ones shoot 3" sparks.  Just like my tired out old portable generator.  

Been wanting to do a lightning bug for a few years now. The right pieces haven't fallen together yet. 

Ooh. A fatted tick. There's one to give people the ickies.  Kind of like my idea to make a spider paper towel dispenser for the bathroom. 

I try to avoid zappy electric. It is beyond my scope. If something is zapping, I'm worrying. LED lights I can handle. 

I wouldn't say that. There is a behind for every seat and those out there that would love it. Kinda like I mentioned another time. 

In my own honest opinion tho, Only make what you would be willing to keep. That is my unwritten rule. And unfortunately, I never get to keep much. Usually my mess ups that I never show anybody. Lol. 

Maybe once I am a more financially secure person I can keep more. Eh. I love to pass along my work to those that appreciate it. 

I am not a very good salesman and I don't really give all my art away because I am finacially secure.  Far from it at this point.  Once I make something it is done.  I give it away.   Sometimes I take a photo if I like it but that's it.  I have kept some things I like and sold a few things over the years but not much.  

I started making things that I liked. Some as gifts. It ballooned into things I was making people liked and wanted. In trying to fund better, different tools I caved. A friend once told me everything (I make) is for sale. Since then I've been supplementing my tool bills (and other expenses) with my art. 

I certainly regret selling some things I've made, because I really liked them, but glad they went to appreciative new homes. 

We are probably in a bit of different views on some of this but it is fine. 

I think you could be selling more. If you prefer not to its no problem.  You gatta do what's right in your heart. You dont have to be a salesman. You just need to display it places it might be appreciated with price tags on it. Lol. I'm a Horrible salesman. I'm much happier being behind the scenes doing my thing and making stuff. When you need to be up front just smile, say hello, and the rest takes care of itself. My older brother got the charisma. I didn't get much of that and it is only unlocked through a few adult beverages. Still, when people see art they appreciate it is great seeing the expressions and it is easy answering questions, and accepting a little compensation for them hosting the art to appreciate more. 

It is ok to have differing viewpoints but I don't think we are that far apart.  I agree with what you say. 

For many years we sold vegetables at a local farmers market and I let someone else do the selling for the most part.  I pretty much just helped out in the background.  Set up and teardown and growing.  It was a weekend thing and I tended the garden after working my "regular" job so it worked out quite well.  Anyway, we had great produce and it mostly sold itself, people just gravitated to our stall because of quality at a fair price.  I just never applied it to the things I make.  Or just never tried hard enough.  When I first started making metal art I went to craft shows and the like and did ok but it just never clicked.  I was to busy on other fronts, I guess.  

As soon as I get set up here (it's taking a little longer than I wish) I may give selling my wares a shot, they have some pretty big festivals and different venues I could try.  I might have to partner up with someone who has the gift of gab though.  Oh, and do some reading on The Business Side of Blacksmithing.....:)