I Forge Iron

Any electricians in the house?

Note: if you wonder if you need an electrician; IT'S PAST TIME YOU HAD ONE IN!

We bought our first house from the widow of a central office maintenance guy who managed to electrocute himself working under the kitchen sink leaving a wife and two small kids...his shop was wired *beautifully*!

The reason that North, Central, and northern South America use 110-120v and most of the rest of the world uses about 240v (Japan uses 100v) is largely historical.  The early American electrical firms (Edison and Westinghouse) used 110v and the early European firms such as Siemans and AEG used 240v.  Somewhat counter intuitively transmission lines are more efficient at high voltages and 240 and higher can use thinner transmission wires.  That is why in the US local transmission lines are 240v and it is stepped down for use within the house.

Interestingly, the US uses a 60 hertz cycle for AC current which is more efficient than the 50 hz usually used in Europe.

I don't think the average consumer notices much difference in the 2 systems.  The lights come on, the washer runs, the drill turns, the oven gets hot, etc. with both systems.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

On 12/20/2022 at 5:02 AM, George N. M. said:

The reason that North, Central, and northern South America use 110-120v and most of the rest of the world uses about 240v (Japan uses 100v) is largely historical.  The early American electrical firms (Edison and Westinghouse) used 110v and the early European firms such as Siemans and AEG used 240v.  Somewhat counter intuitively transmission lines are more efficient at high voltages and 240 and higher can use thinner transmission wires.  That is why in the US local transmission lines are 240v and it is stepped down for use within the house.

Interestingly, the US uses a 60 hertz cycle for AC current which is more efficient than the 50 hz usually used in Europe.

I don't think the average consumer notices much difference in the 2 systems.  The lights come on, the washer runs, the drill turns, the oven gets hot, etc. with both systems.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Mostly lownet in eu is 380/400v, 3 fases + neutral. So 220/230 between fase and neutral. You do find 3x 230V but they are older systems (do I get lucky:rolleyes: ). Not every one gets 400, most get 1 fase +neutral so 230v (or 2 fases of 230).

I say 380 and 220 are the old, sinds a long time it is 230 and 400 but on a lot of older equipment you still find 220/380. 

And i think the average consumer does notice a difference. Our washers, ovens, ... Mostly come with a standard plug you can put in the standard socket. Almost all standard sockets are rated for 230V and 16A. So no fear of it may not fit. (You still need planning in your house however, the differential is different for a washer than a oven. Also it is better for the fuse not to out the oven and several other sockets on the same loop, but that is the same with you I presume)

Extention cords also if 2,5mm2 on each section and rolled out. So 3500W. Most are 1,5mm2 (cheaper, less copper) so only 10A or 2300W. 

On 12/19/2022 at 11:02 PM, George N. M. said:

That is why in the US local transmission lines are 240v and it is stepped down for use within the house.

I am sorry but you are mistaken, in the USA the lines are actually 250 volt line to line, 125v line to neutral, (which is a center tap on the transformer coil) Code allows up to a 5% voltage drop to the meter and another 5% allowance from the meter to the destination,   The transmission lines are around 9,000 volts to get out to the neighborhoods (tho some areas may range from 4,500 to 12,000 volts)

I got my electrical journeymans license 38 or so years ago and I am still confused, no worries, FYI the high tension lines go into substations that drop the voltage to more manageable 9,000v distribution lines, which connect to smaller transformers on the poles through out the neighborhoods at 240/120 volts