I Forge Iron

New to the I forge Iron community

Tony Overlook

Hey y’all, I just signed me up for this forum yesterday and wanted to send a quick note about myself.

I am 1/2 owner of Overlook Forge (www.overlookforge.com) in Newberg Oregon, our shop primarily makes axes (me) and my business partner primarily makes knives. We have been in business (part-time) for approximately 5 years and have found our life’s passion. 

I am super happy to find this community, although I don’t typically spend a lot of time on the web as I prefer to spend my time actually doing / making things in real life, I can see the value of having a community of like minded people to connect and grow with.

Thanks for having me!

A couple of pictures of my work.

C9492CEF-08FF-4384-AB25-D980C94B30B2.jpeg

D33FA547-DC82-4901-9CD7-F30218BA41F1.jpeg

BDE524CF-F234-4235-B4C3-AB7069B090F9.jpeg

A181EAF9-85D3-4B31-873D-E20383D1C2D5.jpeg

771D4A61-E9F0-4C78-A95E-E129EC8A41FF.jpeg

216DDE21-5D72-421A-A94D-0600B4689AAA.jpeg

783DDD0D-2B1B-4D12-AE1E-0F1E561E6F09.jpeg

If I haven't said it on another thread, welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Nice axes.  I particularly like the bearded ones.  However, I am puzzled by the one with the leather and lacing.  It seems to me that it would be better to be placed further down the handle to improve the grip rather than just under the head.  Am I missing something or is it just for aesthetics and a "cool" look?

TW, I assumed the elevated area was for the foreman's office where he can look out across the work floor and make sure everyone is doing their job.  Often, the tool room and various storage areas are on the "1st floor" under the office.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Like others have said those are some fine looking bearded axes. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile and add it there. Once you get the new to you power hammers set up and running, it's off to the races so to speak.

I did a search like the Read This First thread suggests for a member who is an expert on the power hammer Mark Krause. This thread showed up along with many others.

Welcome aboard Tony, glad to have you. Nice axes. Are you going to get your partner to sign up so we can see his knives too? 

How many people are you going to oversee from your personal . . . lookout? Oh come ON that was too obvious! :rolleyes: Even for me and I dearly LOVE a straight line, even if it's unuttered.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome into the group. 

To answer the questions about the shop loft, that is where most of the important decisions will be made, such as which football game to watch after the MN Vikings (SKOL!) games are over and and which bourbon vintage is superior to another. I plan to build it out as a cave for men to hide from unsuspecting wives and children. 

regarding the leather wrap on some of my axe handles, arkie said it best, some prefer it to help with over strike which can happen especially with a long beard, others just think it looks cool. Either way works for me.

I’m off to the elk woods of Colorado for a bit, so y’all stay safe and don’t hammer your fingers and I’ll touch base once I return. Cheers 

• 1 month later...