• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Say Chris, didn't you just say a big old Euroanvil followed you home?

Where's my picture? first no pics of your hammer in progress, now no pic of your brand NEW ANVIL!

Am I going to have to come down there and teach you some manners? Hmmmm? ;)

Frosty

Say Chris, didn't you just say a big old Euroanvil followed you home?

Where's my picture? first no pics of your hammer in progress, now no pic of your brand NEW ANVIL!

Am I going to have to come down there and teach you some manners? Hmmmm? ;)

Frosty

I am turly sorry, I know y`all know it LOL. BUT it was dark and I traced the base on cardboard for the stand so I can get er built ASAP. I left it on wayne`s truck so I can forge the hot cut out of 1 3/4" 5160 he has with his Blu. Pictures are coming.

Uh HUH! Like your camera doesn't have one of those really bright little flashy light things on it. Oh. . . What DO they call them? . . . Uh, a really bright blinky? Nooo, that's not right. Hmmmm. Oh, that's right a FLASH!

Kids these days!

Okay, so when you get your excitement under control how about a couple pics for us old coots eh?

Frosty

Well the mill arrived this morning, and is in place and fairly level. I have to borrow the master level from work to get exactly level. It came with a number of arbors, a boring arbor, a couple of end mills, and a number of cutters for the horizontal arbor. I also cam with what looks like a complete set of change gears for the feed, and a deviding head and a what looks to be a complete setup for driving the deviding head to make fluted cutters etc.
I have polished and oiled the ways, and the spindle and everthing is smooth. Now to install a motor started for the big Dayton motor.

The mill is a Cinnicinati #1 1/2 universal Horzontal mill. Pre 1927 from I have researched so far.
No pics yet, but soon.

Came across a pretty good buy.
Peter Wright anvil says 1 2 7 (175lbs?)
No name anvil 131lbs
pump handle forge
Columbian post vise
assorted tongs and tools
Craftsman Commercial band saw
2 buckets of coal
and a bucket of scrap metal
All for $525

Sounds like a heck of a deal to me! GOOD for you. Now that's the way to set up shop, all in one fatal swoop!;)

Yesterday I helped a fellow smith pick up a band saw from an old junk filled garage, and this is what followed me home, some letter and number punches, and some old tractor drags or something, not sure what they are, but I bet they make some good projects!

Originally Posted by jrhd
Came across a pretty good buy.
Peter Wright anvil says 1 2 7 (175lbs?)
No name anvil 131lbs
pump handle forge
Columbian post vise
assorted tongs and tools
Craftsman Commercial band saw
2 buckets of coal
and a bucket of scrap metal
All for $525

Finally figured how to post pics.So here is my good find. Was I correct on the weight of the Peter Wrignt? Is the forge actually what is refered to asa rivet forge? There is no name on the forge but it all bolts together and each piece has a number cast into it.

12546.attach

12547.attach

That's a terrific score Steve.

I think I might have to hate you. ;)

That falls into the general catagory rivet forges do though it could be any number of similar designations. If you have the brand name and a number look it up on Google Patent and it'll tell you plenty.

Frosty

Please don't hate me Frosty. This is the one time I'm telling the story of the great find instead of reading about someone elses. How it all fell together was a stroke of luck. We have a local classified web page simular to Craigslist. I was on it at lunch and this had been posted the night before. I called the guy and someone else had also called and was trying to get off work just like me. My wife drives the Exploreer and I drive the rollerskake. Just so happened she didn't have school last Friday. So I took off work early, hooked up the trailer and made the 2 hour drive. It was well worth it.

Steve, you sure that the PW is only 175#'s. Looks bigger to me but then pictures are decieving. All that for $525.00.....I'm speachless....well close to speachless.;) I have seen the metal 'snips' at the right of the 1st pic go for $75.00+ and I purchased a forge like yours back in Sept. for $75. Good for you.

Thomas, the PW is stamped 1 2 7. I think that converts to 175lbs but not sure. I'll have to drag out the bathroom scales. The guy I got it from said he thought it was 217lbs. Do you have any idea of the brand of the forge? I don't see a name anywhere but each piece has a number cast into it.

Thomas, the PW is stamped 1 2 7. I think that converts to 175lbs but not sure. I'll have to drag out the bathroom scales. The guy I got it from said he thought it was 217lbs. Do you have any idea of the brand of the forge? I don't see a name anywhere but each piece has a number cast into it.

You're right on your figures, 1-2-7 = 175#'s I guess it's the smaller anvil beside it that gives the illusion of the PW being larger. Sorry, don't know anything about the forge. I have a lever type, see in my gallery, that does have the name on it but the one I have like yours I haven't found any marks other than the #'s like you mention. I would like to know more about it tho.