I Forge Iron

It followed me home

the sa200 is a pipe liner welder they still make a version of this welder today a 200d diesel and 200g gas not shure if gas is avaible anymore but i was a pipe fitter for a short time and they were still renting the sa200 i just sold the one i had to a buddy for 200 and he had it serviced and they said theres not much that goes bad on them

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally found the pics. It has the latter idling device on it, so it must be a 60's model, one hint, the generator does not cool well if doing a lot of welding without the side curtains on it. I don't think the engine revs to hight idle when you press the trigger on a power tool, but they did make what was called a grind ease that can be retrofitted to the machine. Currently I think you have to pin the idler device in the high idle postion and turn the rheostat to 100 to use power tools. I can show you how to rewire it if you are lucky enough to find one of these old "grind eases". I also put homemade murphy switches on my usit that will shut the machine off if oil pressure gets low or it overheats, with standard off the shelf parts from an automotive store.

Jr.

Lucky me. In the back room of a local junk store I found a perfect 4" Columbian leg vice. It didn't have a price on it and the girl running the store said she would have to call the owner. He asked her what it was and she said it was a dirty oily hunk of metal and that I called it a leg vise. With the phone to her ear she looked at me and said would $25 be ok. I couldn't get it out the door fast enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, it's probably miscategorised, but darned if I can find the right thread, so...

Last week I was at one o' my favourite flea markets and nabbed a nice...not beautiful, but NICE...4# hand sledge. Got it home, cleaned it up a bit and, sure enough, that logo was sorta familiar looking...it's a four-pound ATHA!

Doggone new handle cost more than the hammer...which I got for two bucks!!! :D

Last week on monday i got a new post vise, its a 5 incher and was it great condition, made a workbench for it, used it for twists and i like it, only prob is it moves a lil where the mounting bracket hooks up the the c bracket, i will try and wedge it soon, pics below

11276.attach

11277.attach

The pictures are pretty dark, I couldn't see any details. However tightening up on the wedges should snug it down for you. Even if it takes more work than that it's a great score Brandon. You just can't beat a good post vise. Well . . . You can but . . . Uh . . . Oh, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Frosty

I tried massaging one of the pics and it didn't come out as well. Still can't see enough detail to have a chance of saying why it's loose. Probably the wedges but sometimes you need to make a new one or make a new yoke thingy the wedge goes through. I had to make new wedges and straighten the yoke thingy for the 4" I rebuilt this summer. Now it mounts tight as you could please.

Frosty

Thank you Frosty
This anvil is the French model one finds the model English with the rectangular table and the round horn
The more compact German model with a buttress to drive back metal in bottom The American model is untraceable in France
I know only shoeing" Dan "one American marshal installed close to at home which has one of them.
I am content" Dan" speaks French as me I speak English :confused::confused::D

yeah that is a cool anvil, and here I found a 2' piece of railroad track that was exciting enough for me... wait until i find my first anvil!

You've already got a larger and more sophisticated anvil than was commonly used for several millenia of ironsmithing! ;)