I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I've bookmarked the site but happily I haven't done my old iphone damage. I spent a few extra dollars and bought the water resistant padded phone case, the screen cover is getting a little foggy but it's a good 10 yro and all I do is talk, take the occasional picture and maybe GPS something. It's kept my iphone 6 safe enough for quite a while. 

I do fix stuff though.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aside from all the fasteners on modern "devices" being maddeningly tiny, they're often very specific like Torx or Tri-lobe. The iFixit tool kits are quite nice in that they provide the proper tools and are my go-to choice when I'm dealing with a laptop, tablet or phone. My biggest challenge is having enough light and magnification! Oh, & a heap o' patience helps too...

--Larry

Fortunately, I have one of those magnifiers with a built-in ring light, which came in very handy. This particular job required a pentalobe and a #000 Phillips screwdrivers, and I used one of the carboard trays from the packaging to hold parts (with pencil jottings of what was from where).

+1 on the iFixit discussion.  I just bought their "essentials" toolkit to get the fine torx and other bits needed to repair an old Playstation 2.

And this followed me home today:  a pair of wrought iron horseshoes.  A member of NMABA had picked up the twisting wrench I forgot at the state fair on Wednesday and I met him at his shop to retrieve it.  He had a pile of these, and they were just the remains of a much larger pile he'd gotten hold of.  Since he had more than he could use he just handed me a couple to take away.

Not sure what I'll try to make out of them, and it may be some time before I try, having never worked with WI before.

PXL_20230915_170629955_reduced.png

Yes it makes espresso along with the others I mentioned. The coffee is very fine ground and quite strong. We like Bustelo black and it will make your hair straight, the Cafe Con Leche has milk frothed and the Dulce De Leche is milk and sugar, my favorite. Even though I drink regular coffee black.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Debi just reminded me in South Florida, Hialeah it's called Cafe Cubano or Cuban Coffee.

If you Google Java Presse It will tell you all you never thought you needed to know about coffee the "elite" like. Not that I consider us to be elite but we do love some good strong coffee's.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

It sounds like the coffee my late father-in-law (a medieval history professor) described at a little Greek restaurant near the British Library in London that he frequented when he was doing research.  He described it as "making you want to go out and fight Turks."

I'm a wussy milk and sweetner man, myself.

G

Strictly speaking, what you get from a Moka pot isn’t espresso, because it’s not brewed at the same high pressure as true espresso. It is very like it, though, and quite delicious.

Greek coffee (which is practically identical with Turkish coffee and traditional Arab coffee, but none of them will ever admit that) is made from finely ground coffee mixed with sugar, spices (cardamom, for example), and water, heated until foaming in a special open pot, and drunk from miniature cups. It’s important to let it sit for a second before drinking, and don’t drain your cup, lest you swallow the half teaspoon or so of sediment at the bottom.

Stopped by the bakery and discovered they’d had cards printed showing the sign I made for them a few years back. So, in addition to a carrot cake bar, a chocolate croissant, and a salted caramel scone, one of those followed me home. 

IMG_7513.jpeg

Between two packages that we’re waiting for me when I got back from a business trip, I got an old wrench, a cornhusker, replacement leads for the welding pencil, and some pine rosin. 

IMG_7522.thumb.jpeg.c6312d79da846d98a34267a4816f5c18.jpeg

Guess which package was from Amazon and which was from an IFI member. 

Not being able to go to Quad-State this weekend, I went to the “Inventory Blowout Sale” at the industrial surplus place, for a few goodies. First, some big chunks of steel for improvised anvils:

IMG_7528.thumb.jpeg.6b0423f440682db4ad73f3aafbc32ad2.jpeg

An old electric etching machine, which I want to try for electrolytic logo etching:

IMG_7529.thumb.jpeg.7b31c3d5a9150391b2b350f9c99f4029.jpeg

An industrial cart to be cut up for the steel:

IMG_7530.thumb.jpeg.2dfb94ae3fa0f6d5a1846ec9d3fc163d.jpeg

And the real find: 220 pounds of W-1 round bar for about 50¢/pound:

IMG_7531.thumb.jpeg.62cf2b3ebbffd4b9cd6a85d6b92a0c66.jpeg

The store was kind enough to let me use some space in the parking lot and an outlet to plug in an extension cord, so that I could cut up the cart with an angle grinder. Thanks, guys.