I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Ayup, it's the same dimensional rift sockets disappear into when you're working on a car, though that one releases them when you're finished with the work. I have a 10' tape measure with a leash I clip to a belt loop.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny enough a battery powered Milwaukee 1/4" riveter I bought has a locator and an app to find it. Not like it ever leaves work. 

Tape measurers do frequently hide or transcend time and space to different places. 

Cant say how many little screws and custom made parts I've zinged into a different dimension while trying to clean them up on the wire wheel. 

My tools at work are very disciplined. At most I might misplace one rarely here and there but I just have to retrace my steps to find them. 

Things at my home shop tend to disappear more often.  

Some tools it pays to paint bright colors so they stand out against the grey and brown. 

I need to get out or something I was sitting here imagining a riveter with a locator and about to ask what kind of rivets needed a special way to locate them. :huh: 

Painting them is also a good way to inhibit leg growth. Quite a while ago I was having to hunt an alignment bunch every time I turned around even when I made special not of where I set it. So I painted it fluorescent international orange. So of course I'm hunting all over the place for it before doing the "pretend I just finished using it and set it down" trick. VOILA there it was snuggly nestled with a half dozen international orange tools. <sigh>

The other dimension will not be denied.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Scott NC said:

Ahhh, just attach an AirTag to everything you own.

I'm thinking about attaching one to Oakley's collar, if I ever find it. He likes to run the woods and harass the squirrel's. Yesterday he came home without his collar. I spent most of today looking for it to no avail.

My mom loses her purse from time to time so they can be a good thing.  She's getting on in years.

I lost my false teeth once and that cost me.... I bet a chip for them isn't far down the road....:). Better living through AI.....

On 6/3/2023 at 7:09 PM, George N. M. said:

Actully, tape measures,  along with socks, translate themselves to a higher astral plane and then randomly return through rifts in the space/time continuum.  The time, as percieved here, of the round trip journey is random as is the locus of where they return.  It could be moments or it could be years.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Don't forget screws George. the fall and the floor and magically teleport to the other realm

Had a nice visit with a friend in Peavine Oklahoma and came home with this perfect blower for my newly built forge table. 

Also not pictured: a treadle hammer which I need to pour some concrete for and reassemble, and a bunch of scrap steel good for tools. 

received_1094043431984221.jpeg

SWEET SCORE Shaina! You have the blower on the wrong side of your forge. You don't really want to stand behind the forge while you crank the blower do you?

It'd be easy to rotate it so the crank is facing the front and adjust the handle length so you don't bang your fingers on the forge. However if you're right handed Thomas Powers made a strong argument for having the blower crank on your dominant / hammer hand side. 

You'll be manipulating the work with tongs and fire tools with your off hand and only need your dominant hand to swing the hammer so while your work is in the fire your dominant hand is freest to turn the crank. 

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.

I have the blower exactly where it works for me. I didn't realize there was a wrong side, lol

This is the same way my rivet was oriented and I never had an issue in the past year of regular use. Crank with left hand, piddle with fire with right hand when needed. I rarely had to do both at the same time anyway other than when forge welding. 

Also, I don't stand next to the handle while cranking. I can reach it and easily crank while still standing at the corner of the table. And the counterweight on the handle will keep it going at least a full rotation after I let go. 

No right or wrong way, other than what works for you.

I used to have my blower mounted like yours but after Thomas stated his reasoning for putting it on the dominant hand side I tried and liked it a lot better. I had to unscrew the air grate and rotate it 180* to mount the blower on y right side or lose use of the back wind shield.

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Scott NC said:

I lost my false teeth once and that cost me..

Imagine how the person that found them felt. :D

I have a little collection of oil cans John. Nice find. 

Nice looking blower Shainarue.

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Imagine how the person that found them felt. :D

I hope a metal artist found them and used them in a sculpture... :)

I have a teeny tiny oil can like that in my oddities shelf.  Must have been for sewing machines or similar.

I've really wanted to combine metal and skuls and bone to make sort of unorthodox taxadermy kind of like dr seuss but different. I know it has been done but I still would like to give it a try.  Those false chompers would be neat in a sculpture.

Quick action on a freecycle post got me a couple of propane tanks from a guy whose grill had given up the ghost. They’re out of certification, but they’ve still got a little gas, and I can try exchanging them at Airgas once that’s used up. 

IMG_6824.jpeg

They could also be used for a gas forge, charcoal grill, tool box, sculptural element, stool, musical instrument or other useful repurposed item.  The steel does have some carbon in it and I have always meant to try hardening a piece.  Just be sure to get ALL the gas out before cutting into them!

The last time I decommissioned one of these tanks, I left the valve open for a couple of days before removing it, rinsed the tank out with hot soapy water, rinsed again with diluted chlorine bleach, and let dry. Worked beautifully, with neither explosion nor smell.