I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Twisted, No offense, but I will not give advice out on a World Wide Web site on how to do this, there is a lot of information on how to do it on the “web”, and on this site that you can research and make your decision on how to proceed. I have worked in the natural gas industry for 37 yrs. as a welder working on live gas lines daily, and use my training at my own expense, along with the proper tools to ensure that I’m not working on an explosive atmosphere to keep me safe. Can it be performed safely, yes, but only when proper procedures are followed.  You can PM me with questions and I will provide you with some advice 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Understood, I’m willing to work one on one with someone to ensure that they follow proper procedures, when they may be exposed to an explosive atmosphere to ensure their safety, but I won’t publish it because I’ve found that a lot of people have trouble reading directions and then following them properly 

Lol, surely not? I had a hard time teaching an individual awhile back they need to put the oil plug back in the engine after draining the oil or the new oil will drain out to… (he don’t work for me no more) I hope he found another job better suited to his ability’s…

That being said im sure nothing bad could possibly happen? if you publicly posted a how too on cutting possibly flammable and explosive material, and that same individual joined here an read your how too and attempted it himself? :blink:

In other words, you can use it to control the speed of a universal motor (router, angle grinder, drill, etc) but not an induction motor (grinder, bandsaw, etc).

I have another that I’ve been using to control the speed of my coal forge’s blower, which is made from an old vacuum cleaner. This one was such a good price, I nabbed it on general principles. 

Sorry for the stupid questions, Ive never heard of one,

I thought ac motors burned up if you tried to adjust the speed but now that y’all mention it I guess it makes sense, because you can speed up an slow down a power drill with the trigger an they don’t burn up,

I’m assuming that a regular old fan or drill press motor is induction? So I couldn’t hook it to one of those to slow it down for a belt driven blower? 

5 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

That’s a bummer, I’ve got several good motors tucked around the shop

but the stuff I’d like to run blowers and a big flat belt grinder need something that runs slower

I use VFDs to control the motors for my belt grinder, knee mill, and CNC router spindle.

Have you considered step-down pulleys to slow down motor speed?  Look at a multi speed drill press for a good system that can easily give you multiple,interchangable speeds.  If a single speed will serve your sander or blower requirment,take a look at THIS calculator.  For example using a 3"pulley on that 3450 RPM air compressor motor above and a 7" pulley on your sander will turn  sander 1500 rpm.  

So, I put a note on our community’s “What Do You Have/What Do You Need” FB page to see if anyone had any old circular saw blades. An electrician friend answered Yes and invited me around to pick it up at his workshop. As we were talking about my plans for it (I’m thinking of making a bowl), he asked me if I only worked in steel or if I might like some copper. I naturally said Yes, whereupon he presented me with this freebie:

33F7456F-354B-4A20-8EAF-898F182847E2.jpeg

11 gauge, 24” x 36”. Feeling a bit gobsmacked.