• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the good comments fellas. The old girl will need to be gone through from top to bottom. New babbit and some serious tuning up. Top die is pretty well hashed and teh bottom is gone. But for the money I can handle that!.
Doug! Fantastic score!!!
Finnr

Heck yeah! I bought all new parts for mine last year, mine is a 1926 model, and the parts were around $1500.00 IIRC. The top assembly weighs 200# according to the book and a young friend of mine lifted it off of the bearing cradle with one arm! Ran his arm between the pully and the frame and up she came, He just had me balance it for him! He just turned 20yrs old earlier this month and I think I'm going to start calling him Sir!:) I'm having a bronze bushing put in the pully instead of the babbitt. Will sandblast, make any repairs and put it back together. This is one of those long time projects at the moment...sigh...

So on the way to do some errands with the family, we drive past a garage sale. The seller is barking *real garage sale prices, two dollars for that hatchet*, said *hatchet* springs into my hand as if of its own volition, there to stay.

Then the seller says *I will make you a deal on that cart, two dollars!*. Now, I've been looking for a metal table of some sort as the basis for the MkII forge. Something waist high, about 2 foot by 3 foot or thereabouts. Maybe with a shelf. I've looked at plant stands and patio furniture, I've lusted after metal mesh cafe tables, scoured restaurant recycling stores and considered wheeling hospital furniture away under cover of darkness. This cart is waist height 18x30 inch sheet steel, heavy wide casters, quarter inch steel rod welded all around the perimeter and two bucks to boot, I could have plotzed right there. So I'm four dollars in, but having a five in the wallet, I grab from the ground a couple of V Blocks, about 4 x inches, and an inch and a quarter thick, square bottomed V groove in one long side, marked Eclipse-made in England and E 106 on the flat next to the V. I suspect they are a larger version of the little one inch V block I used to hold round things that need holes drilled in them.

Five bucks and I'm glad I had both the wife and the mini van, the cart just fit in the back,
the V blocks chocked the wheels to keep them from rolling around and we were off, I don't think we were at the sale 10 minutes.

Michael

I think the V blocks go into an eclipse vise to hold pipe. It's a well known brand.

Great deal and I envy you the cart.

For others still hunting for a forge cart: find a junked gas grill and remove the grill part, (if Al sell to scrap yard!), and bolt a piece of sheet metal where the grill used to sit and mount your gasser to that. Easy to wheel and even has a place for a propane tank. I removed the wooden bars on the "handles" and replaced with steel ones to make tool racks.

An Olympic Square Wheel grinder recently followed me home... as did a good size industrial swage block (in the scrap pile of a shut down sugar mill.) And once, I worked at a factory that had a big drill press broken out back. I asked about it... they sold it to me for 20 bucks and I forklifted it onto my truck and took it home. One hour later I had reassembled it and pressed the quill back up into the bearing (the only problem.) 20 - inch variable speed (adjustable sheave) JET drill press. 800 lbs. Retails at $2300!

I forgot about this. Some one I know found a 7" Indian Chief post vise in beautiful shape welded to a metal post sunk in the ground on the side of the road. An industrial steel company had mounted their mailbox on it! Later that night it followed him home and in the morning I suppose they found a nice pressure treated four by four on the ground next to their mailbox....

I forgot about this. Some one I know found a 7" Indian Chief post vise in beautiful shape welded to a metal post sunk in the ground on the side of the road. An industrial steel company had mounted their mailbox on it! Later that night it followed him home and in the morning I suppose they found a nice pressure treated four by four on the ground next to their mailbox....

Nothing gets under my skin more than a thief...

Frankly "Someone" wouldn't be welcome around my place. I'll have nothing to do with a thief. :mad:

Frosty

I had a pretty good day yesterday at garage sales.

I got a bunch of "C" clamps, a 12 ton hydraulic jack and a Whitney, Imperial #7 1/2 punch. $1 each! And when I took Deb back to check out a bird cage I thought she might want the guy told me he'd found another "C" clamp and gave it to me. Wouldn't take another buck for it, said it was part of the deal.

Once they get it emptied they may have a Connex for sale for not much and will give us a call. It pays to be nice, they like us. :)

The peanut grinder was from a towing company garage sale. They're selling off all the stuff abandoned in vehicles. The nice little 1,000gm square block of a hammer head was $0.50.

I already have a few of these little cubes of hardened steel hammers and really like them. You have to be really careful of the fairly sharp edges but they do a very nice job of flattening and dressing up forged surfaces. I do put a close radius on them but not a lot. I've discovered that for my purposes I'd rather have to take extra care for the good effects.

Anyway, that's my score from yesterday.

Does anyone know if I can still get dies for the punch? Capacity 1/4"-3/4" dia. Thickness ?

Frosty

8148.attach

8149.attach

8150.attach

Edited by Frosty

Frosty, I had little luck finding dies for that model punch. I picked one up last year, had one die in it, looked everywhere but none of the other dies available seemed like they would fit. Someone told me at the conference I sold it at that dies were still available, but didn't know where or who to call.:rolleyes: But, someone else had to have it, so they got it for a song.:D

The one set in it, 5/16 inch if I remember right, still worked like new though.

But, keep a watch on eBay, the tools and dies for them show up every now and again. Then you could have two tools set up at any given time.

hey, just found this, better hurry!! Goes off in 6 hours! Don't know if those are the right dies or not, as it's a Whitney/Jensen.
Whitney Jensen Model 7 1/2 Medium Duty Portable Punch - eBay (item 140262250292 end time Sep-06-08 17:25:00 PDT)

Well, I missed out on that one! What I have is a Whitney, Imperial 7 1/2 but it looks pretty much the same with rust.

I just sent off E-mails to Roper Whitney, Roper Whitney - Quality Sheet Metal Fabrication Equipment

W.A. Whitney, Whitney - The Leader in Plate Technology (laser cutting machines, plasma cutting machines and hydraulic punching)

and Cleveland Punch, Cleveland Punch & Die

The punch is skuffed up to the point I can't tell if it's a W.A. or a Roper Whitney but I figure they'll know one of their own. Cleveland punch has a long list of companies they make dies for.

On the other hand I can buy one from Horrible Fright for $20 + SandH and hang the antique on the wall.

It works but the 1/4" die in it is dinged and I don't want to damage it further unless I'm replacing them for a good set.

Frosty

I went to my moms to work on her computer and ended up bringing some goodies home. Since Dad passed away just over a year ago he had many projects he had not finished. Most of those projects no else knew what they was going to be... most would have been to customize his motorcycle or his pickup...

Well mom gave me a 2foot by 4 foot sheet of very shiny stainless steel, move over chrome!!! This is about as thick as a box cutter blade and pretty stiff stuff. I also got a 3/8 inch round Stainless steel rod about 3 foot long...

I also got a weapon... as the story goes behind it my great grandfather made it while he was a blacksmith. It is a cross bow and although the "string" (steel cable) is broke now, back when I was a kid my dad fired it using some solid aluminum cross bow bolts he bought. When he tried to fire the solid aluminum shaft the cable split the shaft and stuck to the "string". Later he used an iron shaft of about the same thickness and it shot but was never again found. It won't use any standard "string" and honestly I doubt I will ever string it up... it is a monster to set the string and I'm not so sure about a steel cable stretched inches from my face...

So there is the stuff that followed me home!

James

Yes you can buy dies for it from the OEM; but they are pricy so know which ones you *have to have* I picked up a bench mount punch and had a friend break the punch doing a set of Ti scales for armour---he replaced it and it was still a lot easier and cheaper than trying to drill several hundered holes in thin Ti!

I got replies this morning. Cleveland Punch and Roper Whitney have them available. W.A Whitney referred me to:

A-American Machine and Assembly

2620 Auburn Road

Rockford, IL 61101

Ph # 815-965-1792

Fax # 815-965-1049

sales@a-americans.com

I haven't priced anything yet but figure it'll probably be cheaper to buy a punch set from Horrific Fraught. Still . . .

Frosty