• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About a month ago a used JET 9x20 lathe followed me home.($400) It needed new belts, 2 new gears, a good cleaning and alignment. I added a wheeled base to raise it to a more comfortable height for my old back and eyes. I still need to get a drill chuck for the tail stock and some HSS tool blanks.

Lathe-1.jpg

It will make a good companion for my Seig X2 mini mill/drill.

I managed to pick up a few nice items from the roadside during a bulk waste pickup.
1. Outdoor gas heater, quite good quality. All that's wrong with it is the piezo ignition is broken. Truly a horribly wasteful device, but lots of nice thin steel plate, copper gas tubing and a large piece of thin-wall stainless tube. Also a huge aluminium dish.

2. Good quality Australian made gas barbeque, with a roasting hood. The plate is missing and the piezo ignition is broken. I have no use for it but it will make a nice workbench.

3. Singer sewing machine, mostly cast iron, made in Great Britain. Sews well but stinks like burnt electrics. An excellent find but may need work.

I also found a short section of heavy galvanised fencing and a few lengths of 3/4" water pipe.

A mechanic friend also gave me this brake drum and flywheel a couple of days ago. I think my junk eye is becoming nicely tuned.

7009.attach

7010.attach

7011.attach

7012.attach

A neighbor wanted the barnyard cleaned up, and I got this pair of old iron farm machinery wheels given to me.

My wife 'confiscated' them before they were even unloaded from the pickup, and placed them near the back steps.

So does this count as "It followed ME home?".........I wonder........

The cat is not new, and has been here for some time.....pay him no mind.........

7026.attach

Edited by jayco

I got a 20 pound sledge from ollies junk store today sans handle, Im not sure what exactly to do with it now that I brought it home other that whittle down a utility pole for the handle, but I felt that I *NEEDED* to have a RFBBFH

Make an oliver hammer out of it. I have a 18 lb straight pein I'm thinking of doing it to.

Frosty

That's what I was thinkin about doin, as I also got a mousehole that beat 90m percent to death, but I was hopin that Appreniceman would have the BP for the helve hammer he posted the sketch for a few months ago....

I took a 3 small Ash logs to the local bandsawmill today, he wouldn't tough the short ones, but I left the long one. I happened to notice some just sawn oak boards laying out on a pile. Seems he sawed up a Burr Oak log and it had some bullets and some wire in it. There was one 12 inch wide one that had some thin spots and about 8 6inch wide ones. The customer didn't want them and he was gonna cut them up for firewood, but if I wanted them I could have them, they jumped in the back of my S10 and rode home. They are now in a Container I am renting for storage of lots of stuff plus some of my 3 daughters stuff from my mother and their late mother. It gets nice and hot in there and they are stickered and stacked.

7044.attach

This followed me home a couple years ago. It's a #60, 6" jaws, opens to 10 with 5 1/2" throat.

I bought it from a guy at work who was clearing out his Dad's shop, he was asking $20. I almost hurt myself getting my wallet out.

I knew it was an excellent deal but till now I didn't know how good. I finally got around to building a stout bench and dug it out to put on the bench. I headed down to the hardware store to pick up some large wood screws and out of curiosity took a look at the Wiltons on their shelf.

$898!! :o for the largest one they had there and it looked smaller but I didn't read the size so I could be wrong. I spent a little time online and see similar ones new for between $1,200 and $850 + S&H. eBay has a couple in the $300-500 range.

I may have to take it back off the bench, clean it up and paint it now. :)

Frosty

7047.attach

djhammer, I prefer not to use kiln dried lumber unless I absolutely have to, its brittle unlike air dried lumber and as I do a lot of steam bending occassionaly, my experience along with others is even with absolutely straight grained kiln dried material, it will break when bending even if soaked in hot water. That's why furniture mfgs buy "deals" usually 9 by 4.5 inch fresh green sawn material from sawmills, so they can air dry it for resawing and steam bending parts for the making of furniture.

An example: A bow stave from kiln dried stock will nearly always end up breaking. I have yet to break an air dried one. Kiln is hard on lumber. properly sealed ends and air drying rock. Fast ain't always good.
Finnr

IRNSGN and Finnr... I didn't know that kiln dried lumber can be brittle when compared to air dried, so that's good information for me. Thanks...

I wasn't trying to say a kiln necessarily should be used to dry the wood. Air drying is fine. What I was saying is that if green wood is dried too fast, it will warp and split (at least that is what I have experienced with Oak). INSGN's original post said "It gets nice and hot in there", which I assumed was referencing where the green wood is going to be cured. No offense taken and none meant.