I Forge Iron

It followed me home

You guys keep making such tasty scores! I gotta go garage saling this weekend. There's a mini hammer in in Anchorage tomorrow so I'll have to keep my eyes pealed on the drive. The couple I've checked out were pretty dismal and I even need a little kitchen wear. A blender or food processor to mix bentonite and maybe later Veegum for kiln wash and refractory experiments. 

Ah, shopping with a goal! I wonder what I'll find instead. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Auction went well today. Some things went over my limits but I brought back a fun load. Got a pretty smooth running champion 400, way more smooth then my other gravel sounding ones that need a full overhaul. This one will get cleaned inside and out and get fresh oil and paint and be put right to service on my demo forge. 

Got a Pexto 4.5" lever shear. Need to find out what it can handle. So far a quick search yielded about nothing. 

Some punch doodads that need cleaned up and figured out and some parts made for. And a bunch of scrapart parts and other lil tools. 

Fun day in the sun. Now to have a few cold ones and go through the boxes and see what I got other then the single pieces I bought them for. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There were 3 other anvils that went a bit high in my opinion. They were usable condition. One with the horn gone that probably used to be 100# complete went for $80. Not a bad starter anvil. It was packed there for a while. 

Got the blower for $125. Which was my max on it. It's worth it to me, and the shear I got for $50 because it was winding down and most people had left. 

Sorry, no pics. Only own a stupid phone.

Helped a friend with ongoing cleanup on his father's estate. (Packrat level: Epic.) Brought home a sandstone grinding wheel, rusty tripod pipe vise, Makita chop saw, Skil saw, extension cords, etc., for my help. 

Cleaned out 30 square feet. Another 10 or 12 pick-up + trailer loads and we can start on the upstairs of the two car garage - which has not had a car in it in 20 years.

Hi everybody, get infected with the Daswulf illness. Ordered this 77 lbs ASO yesterday at ‘Westfalia’ (a well-known German tool shop) after looking for a long time after it (small, affordable anvil)  on the Dutch and Belgium CL. Hope to use them together with a fancy wooden anvil stand and a (to build) mobile solid fuel forge at fair’s and social projects.

Curious about the rebound and how it’s work on a tiny hump of cast-iron ASO. According to the reputation of Westfalia I expect at least some workable results.

Want to put all the stuff in the trunk of my station car. Which means ASO, stand, foldable ‘hair dryer brake drum forge’ a bag of coal, some hammers, fullers & tongs and pre-cut material (S-hooks, fire pokes, bells)

If it didn’t work out I can still visit Das’s backyard  to do a ‘trailer jacking’:ph34r:

Keep you informed. Cheers, Hans

ASO Hans.jpg

Are you sure it's an ASO? Just because it's cast doesn't mean it's not properly hardened. An ASO is only an ASO if it looks like an anvil but won't do the work of an anvil. 77lbs. is a good size for a portable set up. We'll be awaiting your reports on how the Westfailia anvil performs.

Frosty The Lucky.

:o Hans, you can easily make a mobile setup to fit in a station wagon. Or car, truck, whatever.  don't be eyeing my trailer lol.... I dunno bout that anvil, if it's cast steelit might be great, cast iron , Might be bad. unless it's ductile iron.

My setup would fit in a truck but I have a jeep so I need a trailer and the enclosed works great. also loading and unloading doesnt have to happen that day.

Hans, My demo anvil is an old 100lb Mouse hole. Any old lighter anvil will work including the old block of steel on a stand. I hope yours works out. If you do come over to nab my trailer, Please stop in to say hello. :)

Nice day at the fleamarket; spent US$16 and came home with all the following: Trimo wrench, old cut stamped with W,V,T Woodings-Verona Tool Co. of Verona, Pennsylvania; 1.25" stem hardy and " Modern Machine Shop Practice" "Including pattern making and Foundry Practice" Brookes & Hand, c1911 "special Exclusive edition Printed especially for Sears Roebuck & Company 1914  (over 800 pages...)

I could have dropped the total price a couple of bucks but I was happy enough that I wanted to encourage them to bring *MORE*! (3 separate sellers)

FM1_20180415crop.jpg.a9468f9ec41d2385293ddf381dc75c7b.jpg

As expected the "Modern Machine Shop Practice" includes some blacksmithing tips; I'll have to copy out the ones on forge welding; but it includes having 4" of fuel UNDER the piece heating for welding---something new smiths seem to have a big problem with. (and a discussion of proper scarfing)

Nice score Thomas, I never see flee markets that rich. We see toaster ovens and various things folk are too cheap to haul to the dump themselves. <envious sigh> I remember good swap meets and flee markets. Unfortunately we're out here on t he edge.

Frosty The Lucky.

And I consider this a barren wasteland compared to the old South High Fleamarket in Columbus Ohio. It was hosted at a working drive in when I used to go there so everyone had to clean up every day as movies would be shown  later---better prices and less "trash". But this works for me I really have more than I need; it's just dealing with the urge to go to the fleamarket on a regular basis.  It was a *good* day as most days there are no blacksmithing specific items or the prices are crazy.  I didn't even get there early!

Interesting;  South High is still there and still showing movies too!

The last drive in showed it's last movie in the Anchorage area sometime in the late 70's. It's too light in the summer and too cold in winter. When I first moved here in '72 I went to a drive in that offered electric heaters for an extra $5. per movie, admission was $2.

I haven't been to a real swap meet or flea market in decades, even an anemic one.

Frosty The Lucky.

I picked this up last weekend. Apparently my father left it and a bunch of other tools to me when he passed away. I'll be going through his shop next weekend to see if there is anything else I want before the estate sale. I'd take it all of I had the space. The estate sale should be a good one for guys.. tons of tools...

IMG_20180415_105717967.jpg

1 minute ago, Daswulf said:

I know I feel closer to my grandfathers when using the tools I got from them. 

Truth ^^

Thanks JHCC.

And Thanks all. It's been tough since he's been gone. I still catch myself picking up the phone a few times a week to give him a call for advice. He was the most enthusiastic fan of my blacksmithing work. And most anything else I did, for that matter. He was the smartest and most remarkable man I've known, and I was so lucky to have him as my father. The best gift he gave me was that he was always telling folks how proud he was of me. Coming from him.... Well, it made me feel awesome.