I Forge Iron

It followed me home

We have some coal that is free to a good home!!

I am just trying to get the hang of posting to this group (not a blacksmith). We're located in Takoma Park in home built in 1884. My husband just moved it out of the basement "coal room" to the yard due to making needed repairs. We'd love for someone to come get it. I can post a photo as soon as I figure out how to, or email one. If you need help loading your truck or a hauling company we know a nice local person we could direct you to.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So that is "lump" coal!-beatiful-

Break it down before you put it in the forge? :D

Ian

Ian, Ian, Ian, you guys down under must have dinky little bitty forges, that IS broken down. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, in full disclosure;  You can take a Texan out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the Texan.  Yep, I'm 100% east Texas outlaw. :D

No matter Ian, I won't hold either against him, he probably just doesn't know any better.

Frosty The Lucky.

Daniel, you may want to leave it on the pallet. Mine has been on the shipping pallet since I bought it almost a couple of decades ago. The wood doesn't slide around on the concrete, and I haven't had to bolt it down. It has worked great for me this way.

Nice load of freebies from good neighbor Brian..........A bunch of horseshoe steel bars in odd sizes; 7/8''x 5/16'', 3/4''x5/16'' and some 3/4'' half round much to my surprise.........Some 1'' mechanical tubing w/a 5/8'' hole and some weird bearings with a 1 1/4'' dia hole with hard shafting. Anybody know what these bearings are for? Thx, mb

Just went to load my booty onto the steel rack....disturbed a wasp nest and got stung in the ear. I'll get the little buggers this evening when it cools down.......... :ph34r:

post-15096-0-31439700-1372963497_thumb.j

post-15096-0-33982800-1372963559_thumb.j

post-15096-0-92482500-1372963603_thumb.j

Just bought this for $15. It's 2"x2"x4". I'm guessing it's an old dog head or file cutters hammer, am I right or does this hammer have another use? Either way it's unusual and I'm sure I'll find something to do with it. :Ppost-27440-0-83998600-1373034999_thumb.j

My buddy called me and asked, "want some coal?".  :o  YES!  He brought it too me.  Too all you guy's that find those $20 hay buddens  :P .  I'm guessing about 500lbs, one cart full had already made it around to the shop.  I'll have to put him a thank you together.

003-3.jpg

The yellowish material suggests the presents of sulpher in the rock

.    Supher contamination may cause problems for blacksmiths.  It may well be useful but there are problems with corrosion and welding that you must learn to work with.

Macbruce, those linear bearings can come in real handy, or sell them off with the shafting. New they are pricey.

I googled those puppies right away and they retail for $170 each! I'm testing the waters on Ebay for half that with a single and a pair....... :ph34r: They are NOS.

Guest Johnnie

This fell into my trailer today. 5ft diameter x 6" 1/4"

I know a very friendly french magpie who loves what I do and gives out lots of freebies. Obviously it was an old cart wheel.........just couldn't say no.

Problem is now what to do with it.

Seems a shame to chop it up, must have been quite a feat to make this over a hundred years ago.

Any ideas?

post-19880-0-50338800-1373396951_thumb.j