I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I found these die sets at the local scrapyard. This town not being an industrial one it was almost like winning the lottery. The two medium sized ones will fit nicely on my 20ton press and the big one I will use on the hydraulic press. The small one is still jobless. I also got an few nice thick pieces of neatly cut plate that has already being put in use on the hydraulic press.

post-5093-0-49316200-1298832484_thumb.jp

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the last few weeks have been really good to me. I have acquired an old Singer Leather Patch machine with stand. It really looks worn out, but works quite well. I just got it serviced and the guy was quite impressed with how the timing was. I just have to learn how to use it effectively now. Eventually, I will purchase a better leather sewing machine, but for now, it beats hand stitching.
post-1399-0-50458900-1298736911_thumb.jp
I also purchased two post vice. They are both complete. The screws and boxes on both are in excellent shape also. One of them has a bad forge weld on the leg. I am undecided if I should just get the stick welder after it or try to redo the weld. What do you guys think?
post-1399-0-89164000-1298737055_thumb.jp post-1399-0-27966000-1298737125_thumb.jp post-1399-0-39545000-1298737218_thumb.jp
I was also able to pick up two pair of Champion tongs. They are in good shape and should be of immediate use.
post-1399-0-02436200-1298737248_thumb.jp

Hi all, Got some new goodies at a flea market.

Flatter,
post-11493-0-95168700-1298051044_thumb.j

Cutting Hammer of some sort,
post-11493-0-24425100-1298051202_thumb.j

And a Stake,
post-11493-0-32883500-1298051225_thumb.j

Any Idea what the Cutter is and What does the symbol stand for? Anyone know of J.Wilcox ? History?

-Thanks

Just don't tell me ya found those at Smileys. Usually there Fri Sat and Sun.
Ken.

I think I would have died if I found those in Smiley's. One of the flea-markets That I don't know the name of in SC. Right south of spartanburg. Has something like 10 large rows that are all covered. about the size of smiley's outside area.

I found some wedges that were definitely cast (casting lines visible) but with square ends, definately not be much good for splitting wood. I made a deal and said I would buy them as I could forge the ends to a point, or just grind them down to a point. We both agreed it would be a lot of word so we came to a price and I brought them home.

The fellow ask if I was a blacksmith or something and I said yes, I was always looking for solid bar stock, round stock, etc to work with. He mentioned that there was a couple of bent pieces of round bar in the back. Turns out they were 1-1/2 inch thick and definitely BENT. I told him it would take a big fire to get them up to temperature but I could either bend them back to straight or find some use for them. Cash talks and the metal walked straight to the car.

I think I can make use for both the wedges and the round bar. Ahhh the joy of scrounging.

Is this the right place to comment? If not sorry. That bent piece looks like hold down. You might be able to use it in the hardy hole of your anvil. (to big for Pritchel hole) It could also be used with a platen or swage block.

I "Happened" to be near the scrap yard today and got this piece of plate, it measures 38 inches across and 1 inch thick, it has lots of holes indexed in it, the smaller ones are threaded 3/8 inch I think. I am not sure what this was used for maybe a faceplate for a lathe? It will make a nice jig table for bending and such, I will find some pegs to fit the larger holes. This thing weighs over 300 lbs, I plan to make a base for it and bolt it down to the floor so it will not move
post-10376-0-11025300-1299120589_thumb.j

Recently I happened across a scrap yard, i got an old hand made file, a 11/2 lb crosspeen, a 1 lb ballpeen, a hot cut and a RR track anvil for $30 US.

Today I went to flee market I found 2 3lb hammers, a few files, a MASSIVE old pry bar, and a good little coal shovel for $19 US.

sorry I dont have any picyures yet.

I think I would have died if I found those in Smiley's. One of the flea-markets That I don't know the name of in SC. Right south of spartanburg. Has something like 10 large rows that are all covered. about the size of smiley's outside area.

Lots of stuff turns up there. Just gotta be there real early.Made a clapper for a dealer(neighbor)Dropped it off on Sat on Sun he said he bought 2 anvils and sold them before 9 AM.I Need to stop sleeping in.
Ken.

I stopped by the scrap yard Saturday and picked up a 3/4" plate with a series of 10 holes drilled in it: 2.125, 1.625, 1.125,...Looks like a punching bolster to me! I'll probably rig an adapter in one of the "small" holes to fit in the pritchel of my anvil.

I also picked up an utility pole eyebolt---very handy if your shop uses utility poles as uprights.

And 3 sheets of used galvanized roofing---I'm keeping the weeds from growing through my scrap pile next to the shop building with that stuff.

Finally a random pile of various odds and ends, some die springs, trampoline springs, a bunch of RR clips---nice to buy them cheap!, etc.

Total cost was $7----you see we're out in the boonies and the local scrapyard is a non-ferrous yard and so they almost give away ferrous stuff that was "snuck in". Too costly to ship it 100 miles to a big ferrous scrap yard.

Fleamarket report: couple of old cold chisels and three small pulleys (going to mount them in the rafters to making hanging stuff easier. $2

Finally I was given 10' of 1.5" round stock by a friend who saw it being dumped and though I could use it more than the landfill...going to make more but smaller stake anvils---Oh yes when I was teaching smithing I was given a stump for my large stake anvils.

And 3 sheets of used galvanized roofing---I'm keeping the weeds from growing through my scrap pile next to the shop building with that stuff.

Better put a rattlesnake trap under that roofing...when it's on the ground as you plan to use it they think you are making them a home! :P

What and NOT discourage the folks who steal scrap metal? What will the coyotes eat then? Dumping them in the arroyo is not water pollution 99 and 44/100ths of the time out here...

Yes I know about the proclivity of buzztails for scrap piles out here. Still expect to have a brown pants incident when I run into one in the shop...

The black widows don't seem to bother me yet...

OTOH I will be smithing without a jacket this weekend and it's such a rare event I still run out and stand in my shop extension just to hear the rain on the roof...

Roof? What is this "Roof" that you speak of? Still under the old oak tree. Hope to have a smithy this summer.

Shade tree blacksmith,
Mark<><

And I suppose it came with a tied yellow ribbon? :D:D:D

Keeping well my friend?
Ian

Been a while since I did any metal hunting - found several items in a field today; what looks like trencher teeth, t-shaped bolts, bucket tooth and some other goodies. Does anyone have any info about the composition of trencher tooth??? Are the points carbide? Any chance they can be converted to hardy tools?? Not a bad days work. As you can see in one of the photos what looks like trencher teeth shows that two are worn at the collar so that they are oval while one looks mostly unused although rusty.

post-10988-0-65726900-1299807817_thumb.j

post-10988-0-95187900-1299807832_thumb.j

post-10988-0-83560900-1299807851_thumb.j

post-10988-0-15110600-1299807875_thumb.j

post-10988-0-71830400-1299807890_thumb.j

post-10988-0-81331100-1299807919_thumb.j

The first things are the carbide tipped teeth for the machines that eat roads and spit out tailings.

You can convert a block of wood or a stainless steel fork into a hardy tool. Without telling us WHAT KIND of hardy tool we can't tell you anything but yes, no, maybe. In general as long as what you want to make does not require changing the shape of the carbide knobby you are probably OK.

The first things are the carbide tipped teeth for the machines that eat roads and spit out tailings.

You can convert a block of wood or a stainless steel fork into a hardy tool. Without telling us WHAT KIND of hardy tool we can't tell you anything but yes, no, maybe. In general as long as what you want to make does not require changing the shape of the carbide knobby you are probably OK.

Thanks Thomas