• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I work at Northern Forest Heritage Park, in Berlin,NH doing maintainance, and get to use the period (late 1800-early1900s)Blacksmith shop. I have had several items follow me home (with approval, 4" post vice, Champion 400 blower, and a cast iron 3'x4' forge. My latest follow me home item is something else...It was donated to the park, and sat upside down on a pallet for years. The administrators finally decided it did not fit in what is a replica of a logging camp, and so...here it is in my yard. Had to revise my smithy plans to accommodate it! The blower and electric motor spin freely too! I put my hand right next to the ash dump to give some idea of scale. So Glen, I'll see your 55...and raise you one Humoungous Buffalo!

post-9512-12728405020749_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728406408743_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728407083491_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728407400055_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728407664822_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728407873573_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728408053738_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728408719104_thumb.jpg

BTW. The forge is sitting on a FULL size Pallet!

Nice score there Bear.
Also nice to see someone get something that has a chance at a new life and planning to give it just that.
So many times things get donated and then just stand out in the weather till there`s no hope.Glad to see your group has enough sense to let something go before the rust kills it.

Good luck with it and be sure to post pics after the recovery. :)

A little while back I posted that I found a 5 X 5 platen. I finally picked it up last week and hauled it home. One of my subcontractors found out I was interested in blacksmithing and he offered it to me for the price of scrap steel which is $.03/pound, so I got the platen with an approx. 200 pound machinist vice for $90. He was going to send it to the scrap yard numerous times over the years, but he always thought that he would find someone who could use it for what it was intended for.

The vice was mounted to the platen and sitting outside for 10+ years, so it is seized up right now. I have it soaking in penetrating fluid. The platen was missing 2 legs, so the guy had his welders fabricate a couple of replacement legs for free. Yes, he is one of my favorite subcontractors...

post-4446-12728567845361_thumb.jpg
post-4446-12728568266551_thumb.jpg

I work at Northern Forest Heritage Park, in Berlin,NH doing maintainance, and get to use the period (late 1800-early1900s)Blacksmith shop. I have had several items follow me home (with approval, 4" post vice, Champion 400 blower, and a cast iron 3'x4' forge. My latest follow me home item is something else...It was donated to the park, and sat upside down on a pallet for years. The administrators finally decided it did not fit in what is a replica of a logging camp, and so...here it is in my yard. Had to revise my smithy plans to accommodate it! The blower and electric motor spin freely too! I put my hand right next to the ash dump to give some idea of scale. So Glen, I'll see your 55...and raise you one Humoungous Buffalo!

Now all ya gotta do is figure how to redo the OLD MAN IN THE MTN. with it. Old Conn Yankee said that.
Ken.

Well Ken...tell me what you think...I took these pics a few weeks ago in Dixville Notch. I figure the Old Man just got fed up with all the tourists and exhaust fumes and moved north...this is heading west from the Errol end. HEHEHE
post-9512-12728876290918_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728875555435_thumb.jpgpost-9512-12728875808178_thumb.jpgpost-9512-1272887664839_thumb.jpg
...any more challenges?
BlackSmithBear

BTW. It's funny you mentioned this...as I recall, at the time he "fell" there was discussion about putting up a metal silhouette of him!

Why ain't that just the cutest little thing! :rolleyes:

Quite the score!

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks Frosty The Lucky! I think We here are the lucky ones...to have NOT lost your expertise and humor! Wish Ak wasn't so far away...I'd love to visit Alaska again! Perhaps to "play" with your LG !!! With a forge this size, I'm gonna HAVE to get a power hammer to work what it's capable of heating up!

Thanks Frosty The Lucky! I think We here are the lucky ones...to have NOT lost your expertise and humor! Wish Ak wasn't so far away...I'd love to visit Alaska again! Perhaps to "play" with your LG !!! With a forge this size, I'm gonna HAVE to get a power hammer to work what it's capable of heating up!

You just be sure to look us up next time you get to the Greatland. Hear? I'm always happy for an excuse to light a fire and turn on a machine! ;)

Frosty the Lucky.

Bader BIII, 1.5 hp, variable speed. Have been looking to upgrade for a while now and could never decide on a bader or a kmg. This one followed me home for less than half the cost of a new one. Gotta say, there is no comparison to the 6 year old grizzly knife grinder model I was using before. The tracking is awesome even when coming in at an angle. Variable speed is really nice to have. It came with the standard 8" serrated wheel. I added the work rest and I'm thinking about a platen assembly...(BTW, the grizzly is already sold). ;)
-DB

post-4136-12731671964299_thumb.jpg

Any post vise you give serious thought to disassembling before loading is a *good* postvise!

At the fleamarket today I bought an old set tool for a buck and the tapered end off a steel wrench for $2---I use them as drifts and this is a size/taper I don't have extras of---you can see where they cut off the wrench part. As usual: on Friday's when I need to get into work on-time the fleamarket is large and things are going cheap! On Friday's when I have all the time in the world there are only a handful of dealers and everything is way too expensive!

Bader BIII, 1.5 hp, variable speed. Have been looking to upgrade for a while now and could never decide on a bader or a kmg. This one followed me home for less than half the cost of a new one. Gotta say, there is no comparison to the 6 year old grizzly knife grinder model I was using before. The tracking is awesome even when coming in at an angle. Variable speed is really nice to have. It came with the standard 8" serrated wheel. I added the work rest and I'm thinking about a platen assembly...(BTW, the grizzly is already sold). ;)
-DB

David- Whats that cup wheel on your grinder hanging on the wall? It looks like a monter tool.....

It's starting to get into garage/yard sale season here in the far north, the snow's gone and the chance of more falling is going down. Well, Last Saturday Deb and I went garage saling for the first time even if it was pretty early. Wouldn't you know it, the very first set of signs we were following went right past a little bitty hand lettered sign pointing to a yard sale so of course we banged a hard left and checked it out.

As we walked up the drive I didn't see anything of interest so just ambled up. Deb did a similar quick look over and ended up talking to the lady holding the sale. I walked up to see what was of interest on the table in front of between them and while there wasn't anything I wanted I saw a Louet spinning wheel just standing there maybe 4' from Deb and she hadn't noticed it. I touched the wheel to see if it turned freely and it turned like a new wheel. I can't tell you how much I savored asking Deb if she'd seen . . . That. She said, "huh?" So I pointed and repeated my question, "Did you see the Spinning wheel?"

Deb almost dropped when she focused on it and the lady offered to drag a chair over so Deb could give it a try. Deb asked how much as she spun and the lady said, "make me an offer." Deb asked again and the lady said, "$50?" Deb just about fell out of the chair, these wheels sell for between $475-$500+ new and don't depreciate untill they're decades old if used hard. So, Deb heads for the Ute and her checkbook. Returning she starts filling out the check and I ask her if she'd noticed the pile of garbage bags full of wool. "Uh," she says, "no." Turning to the lady Deb asks how much she wants for the wool. The lady then says, "you HAVE to take it with you."

Some of you guys are part of a steel wool couple and recognize what kind of deal this is without all the wool. for those of you who aren't so lucky, the wheel is worth an easy %475 and there is more than $500 worth of clean carded wool in 1 oz packages which sell for between $2 and $3 each not counting shipping. Oh yeah, I forgot, there were three extra spindles, a niddy noddy and a skein winding gizmo so I don't need to sit there with my hands up while Deb winds yarn into balls.

for non- steel wool couple members, this is like finding a 300lb Peter Wright anvil, a box of hammers, sets and punchs for $100 and then finding out there was half a ton of wrought iron you HAD to haul off too. In short, this is one HECK of an auspiscious start to the garage saling season!

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-014397900 1273281592_thumb.jpg

Wow! Frosty-
Definitely a good start to the saling season

My "it followed me home" was delivered for free from LA about 400 miles away...

It is quite an upgrade from my old hand crank Niagara (now for sale) :D
This is a May Tool MTC-42 and it cuts like a dream. All I had to do for it was add wheels, new plug and sharpen the cutters. My spinning has gone pro.... Well,... at least the tools have :)

post-6253-069673100 1273345443_thumb.jpg

Wow! Frosty-
Definitely a good start to the saling season

My "it followed me home" was delivered for free from LA about 400 miles away...

It is quite an upgrade from my old hand crank Niagara (now for sale) :D
This is a May Tool MTC-42 and it cuts like a dream. All I had to do for it was add wheels, new plug and sharpen the cutters. My spinning has gone pro.... Well,... at least the tools have :)

A circle shear!? Holy Smoley :o I'd LOVE to have a circle shear, hand crank or not. I got LOTS of experience cranking Dad's circle shears till he motorized them then it was easier but slower.

Have you checked this site? http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?p=13836&posted=1#post13836

They have a metal spinning section and got me talking about old times in Father's shop.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hey Frosty, That is a fantastic find...Way to go Deb. I know she is going to be busy with that for a while...

Thanks Bryan, it was a jaw dropper for sure. Deb's already taken the new wheel to her local watering hole (coffee that is) to show off. I think she'll be grinning for a long time, I know I will.

Libby is feeling better with meds though there's no telling how long she has. So long as she's not hurting. I really don't want to start looking for another livestock guardian dog, they just don't live long enough. :(

Frosty the Lucky.

David- Whats that cup wheel on your grinder hanging on the wall? It looks like a monter tool.....

Fe, the item in question is just a knotted wire cup wheel that is worn down pretty far and needs to be replaced. I use these a lot, but have a healthy respect for them. They will take some skin with them if they get away from you.
-DB