I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I think Champion colors were either black or red.

90w is WAY too heavy, no heavier than 30w is plenty. Heavier oil will only combine with any dirt or dust passing into and through it to make asphalt which don't turn worth poo.

Heck, poo if fresh makes a better lube than asphalt.

Frosty

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about theh color scheme but painted black with letters highlighted is good. Gear oil is too heavy for these blowers. I use a 50/50 mix of 30wt/ATF. 20wt is good also. The revolutions are slow so there is no heat build up so really all you need is to make it slick.
Now you need to make something REALLY NICE for this friend! Good score

wifes christmas cookies will make him search the barn for anymore!!!

Over the last 90 days I have crawled through countless alleys, been to yard sales and scoured many abandoned construction sites to have the items shown below follow me home along with another forge, over 300# coal, and a couple of anvil alternatives ...

I have large bolts, wheel discs and drums, shocks, spings, channel, round and square bar, box channel, forming stakes, bearings, plate, u-channel and more ... enough for a few projects I think.

More photos later of my anvil alternatives ...

Tim

19914.attach

19915.attach

19916.attach

19917.attach

19918.attach

19919.attach

19920.attach

19921.attach

19922.attach

And here's just a little more of what I've gathered. I need help, someone has to help me stop! It's gotten so bad that now my wife is yelling, "Hey, isn't that a piece of steel over there!" as we drive down the street. And funny thing, everything seems lighter when you first put it into the trunk.

Tim

19925.attach

19926.attach

19927.attach

19928.attach

It's gotten so bad that now my wife is yelling, "Hey, isn't that a piece of steel over there!" as we drive down the street.

Be sure to buy that lady lunch / dinner when she spots the good stuff.

Try to remember that collecting scrap is not the object of the game. You score the real points when you can play at the forge and turn that scrap into something useful.

Thanks Glenn - we (the wife and I) have an agreement - I can collect, but no fire until I finish a couple of honey-do's ... that list will be complete in about 5 days! Then it's her choice for the place for dinner and then I learn to make some tools out of those springs. What a great way to end the year!

Tim

Thanks guys ... plated stuff gets used for it's original purpose ... the trailer hitch/draw bar is good for trading stuff or maybe hammer heads ... the red angle iron will be part of a leg powered treadle hammer ... the 4.25" round bar is being cut to length for my primary anvil ... the stone mason's hammer will get remade ... the trailer hitch balls are for hardy tools ... and so on ... ain't this fun??

Did some searchs and reading.It turns out to be a Blue Star 2E. I downloaded both the welder manual and the engine manual. I changed the oil and put the right spark plug in it. I've ran it for a total of about 4 hours now. It welds real nice. The 110 AC generator out put is a little high. other than that it works well. I bought new leads, ground clamp and stinger for it. Also got quick connectors for it. I have $500.00 dollars in it so far. I'm not sure how much I will use a portable welder and I did not want to layout the price of a new one and then not use it enough to warrant the investment. This will allow me to see what my usage is and if I don't use it enough to warrant storing it and upkeep i can get my money back out of it.

John

check the pivot pin. It may need replacing. Sometimes the pin may be worn and just putting in a new bolt will fix it enough. OTOH I had a large vise that had been abused so the jaws didn't meet that I filled in the old pivot hole in the moving leg---heat shrunk and flush riveting and then redrilled it so it would line up again.