Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That shear looks like a total monster!

It is a lot bigger than what it looked like in the auction picture. It can cat up to 20mm (4/5") square/round. Although, at that size it is already a bit of a struggle. The blades are quite worn out, so I need the sharpen them at some point.

picked up this peter wright for 100 bucks yesturday from craigs list it weighs 140 on the scale

You practically stole it. Congrats. Clean it with a wirebrush on an angle grinder, it will look almost like new.

Looks like the PW I had before. Like you, I also bought it for 100 bucks, but I also got several tinsmith tools along with it:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Peter-Wright-Anvil

After I bought a bigger anvil, I sold my 137 pounder on ebay for $212, and mine had evidence of arc welding repair (disclosed). So yours is worth about $300, I would say. Edited by ichudov

I bought this hydraulic press at the scrapyard on Friday. It is complete and have it's own hydraulic pump. I've seen worse, have to replace the wiring and some of the rubber tubing and do something about the rust. It even got a little pneumatic cylinder that could be connected to a foot pedal.

The press has been standing there for a few months now, and the manager wanted to repair it for their own use, but I just had to wait until he realized they do not have 3 phase power for the motor.

I just have no idea what sort of capacity it has. If anyone know how to calculate that I would appreciate it.

press2.jpg

Jacques, The force exerted by a press is a simple fourmula.
I will first give the fourmula:
Force = piston area times pressure.
Piston area is always Pi(3.14) time radius squared.

Simple example, in english units
Piston is 4" diameter, pressure is 1000psi
3.14 X (2X2)= 12.56square inches
12.56 X 1000Psi =1256 pounds force.
double the pressure, double the force.

Interesting bit, if you go up 2" in piston size you almost double the area,
6" piston
3.14 X (3X3)=28.26 square inches, so at 1000 psi the force is 2826 pounds force.

This fourmula will work in set of units, Just remember that area is Pi X R squared.
And keep units the same, IE if the area is in area, the pressure is in pounds/square inch

If the piston is in Cm squared, the pressure needs to be in Kg/Cm squared and bingo.

Looks like a good score on the press

:) I got real lucky at the NTA(national trappers assoc.) convention in Lima Ohio. I found a Hay Budden in good shape . It is a 120lb and pretty fair shape to boot. Made the 400 mile trip even sweeter. A young smithy had a spare and must have felt sorry for this old fat guy:p

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Drifter

I found an old grinder & a h2o fire extinguisher at a rummage sale this weekend for $3. I've been wanting to get one of these rechargable water fire extinguishers to keep by my wood/charcoal forge.

I'm thinking your grinder may be a little out of balance.;) Good score on both items.

A few years back i was working the yard at a concrete plant in alaska. The state did some railroad maintenance and left a whole stick of rail (approx 180# a yard, but my memory is fuzzy) on the side of the yard. It sat there for about three months, then my boss told me to push it off the work yard, so i did. The next day, i got ahold of Frosty and we took his beat up old truck and a propane fired cutting torch and dragged that rail home... I sort of wonder what happened to it.

Frosty, you gonna charge storage. Make him pick it up. Or deliver it?
Ken

Good idea, I'll make him play in the shop with me and after that force dinner down his throat. After a few weeks of that kind of treatment I figure we'll be square. ;)

Frosty