• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No! Top swage for redressing star drills for drilling stone. (before they made the replaceable tips for powered drills)

Thomas

I thought that when I saw it. Looks like a pretty good size one. I've seen a few before that had a point raised in the center. I assumed they were for star drills also.

Rusty, did you notice that the thread has over 1,700 replies?

With all that material following folks home, there is much less junk scattered around, it is now centrally located behind a smithy (grin). Thanks for the reply.

A double cast iron enameled dishwashing sink followed me home. My neighbor set it outside, so it did not cost me anything.

I suppose that if I connect a ShopVac to blow air into it, it would basically be a good enough forge, right?

16124.attach

this lot followed me home from the scrap yard for less than $50:D, except for the forklift tong... that in itself was $30:p
let's see i got
-hand press
-coil spring
-rr spikes
-chunk of carbon content unknown stainless
-big steel box

16139.attach

16140.attach

16141.attach

16142.attach

16143.attach

16144.attach

16145.attach

16146.attach

16147.attach

16148.attach

Are you sure the hex bar is SS? In my experience hex bar is usually med C steel not SS. Being shiny might just mean it's a new drop.

Of course it certainly could be SS, it's available in all kinds of shapes and things like drive shafts and kelly bars are needed in corrosive or food grade environments too.

Frosty

they told me at the scrapyard that it had been there for over week... and it's heavy as all get out... so i assumed it had to be stainless because of the lock of rust after being in the elements for over a week

Deb and I like to do a little garage saling one day a weekend and last Saturday we spent a few pleasant hours driving around meeting people and generally declining to PAY someone else to make their dump run for them.

Well, every once in a while you hit gold and last saturday was my turn. I picked these up for $20. Two 10/3 extension cords with four outlet ends. The big fat yellow one is an arctic cord. AND a 2 ton chain hoist, new in the box.

I also picked up a 10" miter saw on a collapsible stand for $40 but I didn't take a pic of it as I'm more excited about the hoist and cords.

It was a good weekend and for once I spent Deb's allowance instead of the other way around. :rolleyes:

Frosty

16168.attach

Well if it's high carbon it's going into knives... if it's not it's going to become dies for my new press... as soon as I can imma heat it up and water quench it... if it shaters under a lite hammer blow ill know it's high carbon...(which I doubt)

Heat up only a small CUT OFF PIECE. If you try heating the end and quenching and it is high carbon you can mess up a large chunk of your piece.

My finds today at the fleamarket:: antlers for knife handles US$1 for the pair and a tub of silversmithing stuff including several ounces of scrap silver, unused sheet silver, hard solder in good quantity, etc for $15

I bought a shear from a web auction. When I drove to get it I found out that the seller had a drill press for sell as well. I didn't have the heart to separate the two machines so the drill followed me home as well. I had been looking for a drill press for a while already.:)

The first thing I did with the drill press was to drill open the pritchel hole in my anvil. The previous owner of the anvil had closed it by welding. :mad:

16195.attach

16196.attach