I Forge Iron

Anvils As An Art Form

Howdy everyone!

Not a practical topic, more of a poetic one (although I'm sure y'all are up to the task). 

We all prefer certain anvil types for practical reasons, but do you have a preferred anvil in terms of aesthetics? Are there any features on any anvils (modern or old) that you think were intentionally used for artistic reason?

I'll start it off:

My favorite looking style of anvils are South German designs, specifically Holland Anvil's version and the Refflinghaus #58 275lbs (they're both easy to find pics of, I'll forgo photos to save on bandwidth). I love the smooth transitions between horns, and the Holland anvil especially has a sleek, almost shark like/ aggressive look to it from the side.

Y'all's turn, go!

I love church window anvils, mine is one too:

image.thumb.jpeg.92cd93bb31291e78f514133d57bb0b15.jpeg

Furthermore, I like the anvils with the side slope a lot, practical use in mind too, but also the overall look:

Copyrighted image removed

These are both common on German and Austrian anvil patterns, and since there is not really a Dutch anvil pattern, come closest to a pattern from where I come from. 

~Jobtiel

I like them all, some are just not quite as beautiful as the rest. I have to say I'm taken by the pic Alex Alex just posted but I don't use the horn that much. Of course that's leaning into the practical side. My Soderfors is more gracile though not as much as the farrier's anvil Randy posted.

Frosty The Lucky.

BORING old London pattern!?:o Bad Billy, to wash your mouth out with punch lube, sit in the corner and write, "There is NO such thing as a boring anvil shape!" until I tell you you can go do chores! :angry: 

Frosty The Lucky.

When I was president of SWABA we needed signs to point folks toward our demo at a big event a town was having.  I took scrap plywood and traced out the outlines of all my anvils and cut them out and painted them black---we used the anvil's horn to point the direction to go.  I still have 4 of them around the shop including one outside pointing towards the shop from near the road.

I also like the lines of continental European anvils and have an especial fondness for French "pig" anvils. However, I do not care for farrier's anvils, especially those with bulbous, upward-slanting horns. I'm sure they're plenty useful, but I don't care for the look.

I will say that the long tail on the "Southern Steel" anvil just posted looks very nice (almost like a coachmaker's anvil), although I bet it rings like a very loud bell.

For me, I think the most beautiful are some of the large thin stake anvils that I have seen. Lol, Thomas"s "stake anvil" above is a little stubby for beauty but Its utter simplicity and elegant champfered edges create a beauty all its own. 

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Anyone have an Art Nouveau  anvil?

How about Surrealistic?

I bought a cobblers anvil at a flea market not long ago that looked somewhat Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech - ish....