I Forge Iron

Northern Lights

templehound

This hybrid puukko cuts with a blade ground from O7 flat stock, sports a copper ferrule and has a handle made from Burma ironwood (Xylia Xylocarpa).
The blade ricasso has bevels which are giving a straight transition into the edge and the tang is riveted over the butt.
Burma ironwood is an extreme solid , hard wood that is rather plain and inconspicuous.
It darkens immediately when contacted with hand sweat and oils, leaving a beautiful sinister plain no nonsens tool look.
The sheath has a wood liners and is made from half tanned cow leather that still has a rawhide core.
Blade measures 100 mm and overall length is 225 mm.

Cheers

BrLi1.JPG

BrRe1.JPG

BrSch1.JPG

BrZ7.JPG

Brz1.JPG

BrBtt1.JPG

BrZ3.JPG

BrHa1.JPG

BrY1.JPG

I really like the aged look.  You could believe that it was made decades ago.  The only thing that I can suggest, and I can't believe that I have the nerve to critique one of your blades, is to use a rivet set when peening over the end of the tang.  That will give you a nice round dome rather than the sort of ragged end you have now.  That little thing does not go with the very great craftsmanship and quality of the rest of the knife.  It hit me like one out of tune instrument in an orchestra.

Respectfully,

George

I was just having a discussion last night with my SIBs mentee about the importance of details in blacksmithing in general and knifemaking in particular, and then this pops up in the feed. Gorgeous work.

George:

...like Thomas already said, it was made on purpose and sometimes I like that straw flower look of the peened tang on occasions .....rustic is the word...

....I was in a somewhat rustic mood this time:D....but anyway, precious honesty is always appreciated and very welcome!

Thanks for your comment George!

LesL, Thomas, Irondragon FCW and JHCC thanks for your comments, Guys!

BrZ5.JPG

BrZ6.JPG

BrBtt2.JPG

That actually speaks to some of the points I made to my mentee, that the end product is the result of a series of choices made along the way, each of which has its individual contribution to the total effect, and that an apparently random or irregular in an otherwise-highly regulated piece can serve as a visual punctuation mark, if you will. With the latter, the artistry lies both in the choice of what irregular detail to include and where and in its execution, so that it clearly stands out as a design element rather than as a mistake. 

Templehound, your knives are kind of paradoxical. They look ancient yet brand new.  They say "use me with care" but look like they can handle heaps of abuse.  They are common yet something that an aristocrat would gladly own.  Its a style that I could instantly pick out in a crate of knives.  It really is art.  I enjoy seeing what you've done even if I don't comment on every post of yours.  Thanks