I Forge Iron

Went To The Garden Center

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frosty,

Well I was gonna give you a picture of an asbestos brand iron I have somewhere in the vast black hole shop of mine but I can’t find it… 

the good news is I found a cast iron champion blower bracket I’ve been looking for! Only took 4 months and looking for an iron to find it! Lol

I understand Billy, that's okay. We rehomed the last of our livestock years ago and no longer need to brand asbeasties. I appreciate the thought though. 

The best technique I've discovered for finding stuff is look for something else with intensity. If you do it right you can cut your search time to a couple years!

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, well if I ever find that iron I’ll post a picture of it,

curious though, the brand name is asbestos but it’s made from cast iron?

on searching for stuff, it’s really irritating, my shop is only 25x35, yet I can loose something Indefinitely in here! 

I have a 300’ measuring reel that I haven’t seen in three years! But now matter how much I look for it I can’t seem to find it,

2 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

You're asking :huh: ME how or why people in Oklahoma name things? 

That's easy Billy, STOP looking and buy a new one, then put it where you won't lose it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Before I scrolled up and read your post on taking 4 months and looking for something else to find the bracket, I was literally going  to say to give it a few months and look for something else and you'll find it.  Happens to me all the time. 

After a few years I still can't find a jigsaw that I know I have.. and it is Orange! Haven't needed it That bad I guess or I'd have bought a new one by now.

33 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You're asking :huh: ME how or why people in Oklahoma name things? 

I dunno where they were made but I don’t think us okies named them,

35 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That's easy Billy, STOP looking and buy a new one

that iron is prolly pushing 100 years old so I don’t think Sams kids Have em down at Wally World, but I’ll check next time I’m in town! Lol

47 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I have a 300’ measuring reel that I haven’t seen in three years! But now matter how much I look for it

Sorry Brother I forgot to spell it out for you. My bad, I thought replying to the subjects you were describing would be enough. You HAD found the blower bracket after all. I'll split things up more carefully next time.

Buy a new 300' measuring reel and put it where you won't lose it.  Better now?

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

that's why I used to move every couple months. 

I don't plan on moving any time soon. I honestly think my best bet is to find the longest stretch of nice days and nights that I can, set up a few canopies and clear out the shop. Then I can organize it better, get the real junk or things not needed any time soon out, and keep a more open and clutter free workspace. Ive been at it long enough now that I at least know what I need to keep handy and what can live somewhere else outside my main shop. 

When I try shifting things around inside to organize is when things get lost. Try that then stop more than half way through about 20 times over 10 years or so and it turns into "I know I have that I just have no clue where it is". 

Sorry Billy, that was mean of me, I get carried away sometimes. 

I was being silly Das, I meant I moved to keep from being found. I guess it's my day for making obscure jokes nobody gets but me. 

Me too Randy, I carry a pocket note pad and either forget to make a note or forget to read them when I should. Shopping is about the only time I consistently remember to read my notes. 

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

I guess it's my day for making obscure jokes nobody gets but me

Nothing special about that, I do it all the time and not just with jokes.  I can confuse and mangle a normal conversation, I don't even have to try.  You should see me at the customer service counter and job interviews get confusing fast..... 

11 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I used to carry one of those shirt pocket note pads and write down the location of where I put something I knew I'd loose. Last week I went looking for the note book and can't find it.

As far as taking notes, what if you can't find a pen or pencil to get started?

I just found my 3lb straight peen hammer that I'd been missing for over six months. It was in the exact spot where I swear I'd looked a dozen times already (and yes, I was looking for something else).

12 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

The Asbestos Sad Iron was made in Canal Dover, Ohio and came in two parts: a solid cast-iron lower part that would be heated in the fire, and an upper part with a wooden handle and an asbestos-lined hood that would protect the user's hand from burns and keep the heat of the iron from radiating out anywhere other than the sole; a simple catch held the bottom part in place. The user could rotate through a series of bottom parts, using one while the others were heating; the bottom parts also seem to have come in a variety of sizes and shapes.

Asbestos Sad Irons 1908 | CharmaineZoe's Marvelous Melange | Flickr

(FYI, the etymology of "sad iron" is disputed, with some saying that "sad" is a corruption of "solid", while others (including the OED, which I trust) maintaining that it comes from an earlier sense of "sad" meaning "full" or "heavy". Still others maintain that this refers to an iron that has a removable handle and is pointed at both ends; this is incorrect, as such irons didn't get invented until the late 19th century, while "sad iron" is attested to as early as 1759.)

Ahh! That makes more sense now! 

I just have the bottom part, I always figured the handle got broke off but now I see I’m just missing the other half with the asbestos! 

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Sorry Billy, that was mean of me, I get carried away sometimes.

Lol, no offense taken Jerry! 

sometimes I have a hard time catching the drift of a written conversation in black an white vs in person we’re I can see someone’s expressions and hear their tone of voice

I'm rather amused that the manufacturer was located on "Iron Avenue" (although Google Street View shows me that the lot is currently vacant). The advertisement likely predates 1916, when Canal Dover shortened its name to Dover.

I like the verbage they used in the old adds.  "This unit will do the utility of three oxen without need of early morning feeding chores and care!   A drop of petroxylene oil based hexane is all the feeding it needs.  Wouldn't you rather be down at the farm store looking at the new seed blends for next year than spending time tripping over dirt clods in the field? "