I Forge Iron

Went To The Garden Center

I stopped at a strange garden center on the way to a doctor appointment today.  It must have been either an old blacksmith shop or a collector that owned it.  There were tools and implements scattered all over the place.  The owner was gone and the lady behind the counter said some of it was for sale.  Some had tags most didn't.  They had a champion blower for $150 usd and a wagon wheel bender, which I have never heard of before for $450 usd.  There was even a lineshaft on the ceiling but not hooked up to anything.  I was in a hurry but I'm going back just to look around.

wagon wheel bender:

20220413_122411_compress75.thumb.jpg.deff2003beefa1f4768356b2c91232d8.jpg

20220413_122917_compress55.thumb.jpg.7f7912484d53349777c5cfa713cd8698.jpg

Blower

20220413_125349_compress23.thumb.jpg.8afc59dc9f675f6ecb9c233732d07f02.jpg

Junk pile

20220413_124036_HDR_compress43.thumb.jpg.d38e6a172d986e60f2801c5d46838d89.jpg

I don't know

20220413_121617_compress73.thumb.jpg.eeed2b239f29dd8d33aa5ae52b0e80f4.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were some fenced off areas....:ph34r:  Theres a post vise in one of those junk piles and I don't have one yet.  It's probably all over priced but who knows.  I'm going back today to find the owner, and I like to yack.  Besides, I forgot to get what I went for once I started looking around, yesterday...:)

Have you any idea what that thing in the last picture is?  I thought an anchor of some kind but why the rusted out metal "shell"?  Can't make it back today but will soon to ask.  I'm going to find out about that wheel bender.   They have cool stuff there that has no description tags or plaques.  The owner has to be an interesting sort...

Not just fro that angle Scott. The lifting bale on one end made me think of a "drift" for cleaning / scraping well casing but they're usually a lot simpler in shape but some are actually mechanically complex so they'll go down the hole easily but expand to give the casing a good scraping on the way up. 

Like I say a really unlikely guess.

Frosty The Lucky.

"That's meaning a buoy for the ships that sail /And not a boy that's a juvenile male."

My first thought with that photo was that it looks like a mushroom anchor, which is used for permanent moorings in anchorages with muddy bottoms. Don't know that I've ever seen a double one, though.

Please remember that sometimes even museums get things "mislabeled".   I remember  Har-Ber Village had a pick with langets  that the label said it predated the use of eyes for handles in tools.  As eyes predate the use of metal tools they were totally wrong; but would not admit it when we mentioned it to a docent.  

I got a ton of old rusty tools an junk hanging around the shop an sometimes I purposefully make up names for stuff  just to mess with people :ph34r:

for instance have y’all ever seen an outhouse plunger? Bahahahaha:lol:F88DC1B9-AD43-4450-8C7B-21EF22DC71CF.thumb.jpeg.3dfe1db786bd72ade0a12627282365ec.jpeg

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Buoy oh buoy Billy Buoy that's quite a stretch.

Sorry I was drifting off, I’m not anchored well

I got a pick at the flea market today and made him throw in some extras.  I'm honing my haggling skills.  No langets on this one.  I slung it over my shoulder in a verticle fashion to carry it to the car and the pick head slid down and hit me on the head.  Trust but verify!

20220415_132326_HDR_compress7.thumb.jpg.3285729d336f41b860f9093c864a0d98.jpg

I keep picking up pick heads and garden rake heads and am starting to get a pile of them.  Time to start cutting the ends of the picks to make drifts and mounting the garden rakes to the walls to hold tools!

I sometimes pick up old stuff, just because. The walls of my shop are slowly becoming covered.   Since they are old roof panels I have lines of holes to hang stuff from.  I hung a 1948 NM license plate up this last week

18 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

for instance have y’all ever seen an outhouse plunger? Bahahahaha:lol:

Lol.  That's a good one billy!  Believe it or not they had one at that garden center.  It was nailed shut, I wanted to look inside.  I'll take a pic when I go back.

Thomas, I happen to know SOMEBODY that ran out of wall space and started hanging stuff from the ceiling on baling wire.....

21 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I did something like that with my own pick. Picked it up and raised it to start picking some rocky ground. The head slid down and pinched the web between my thumb and index finger. Ouch that really hurts, another reason to wear gloves.

Randy, put a large wood screw under the bottom edge of the pick head...keeps it from sliding down. ;)

I could have maybe used one of those plungers.  The house we bought came with a washer that had no agitator!  New technology.  We got rid of it, it sounded like an industrial machine, grinding and humming and didn't clean worth a hoot.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, Nodebt said:

I don't think anybody saw it though.

I like to be fair, since I've seen a lot of silly things like that and had a good laugh, I hope someone gets a chuckle out of my little silly moments.

Scott, I bet that washing machine agitated you.