I Forge Iron

Went To The Garden Center

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't met anyone who does like lutefisk; I have met some folks of Scandinavian  descent that still eat it as a "traditional food" at Christmas; but it's more of a "Eat your Lutefisk so we can get on with eating the *good* stuff!" 

There are a number of such foods; like fermented shark, that show just what humans will do to avoid starvation...

I’m not a fan, but one of the best things I’ve ever tasted was a plate of kielbasa and sauerkraut given to me by a generous old man when I was very, very hungry. They say that hunger is the best sauce, but sometimes hospitality is the best seasoning. 

I love sauerkraut and some of the milder kimches Ak native stinkfish is a NO!

The hungrier you are the better anything tastes. I realized there isn't anything I won't eat if I'm hungry enough when I was pretty young. I don't know why the realization came to me but it remains. Hunger is the best sauce. Hospitality and friendship lends a lot of good flavor too. 

Taste is in your head.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/28/2022 at 1:07 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

corned beef from a can

My mom always made ruben sandwiches with canned corned beef. I was surprized when I ordered one at a restaurant and got one with fresh sliced corned beef. I will say i liked it better. Don't tell my mother.  :rolleyes:

We never had ruben sandwiches at home, Mother and Mom (my maternal Grandmother) were strongly  influenced by the depression and we didn't eat fancy nor ethnic besides Dad was a really fussy eater, heavily spiced to him was an extra shake of pepper. 

I LOVE ruben sandwiches and would have them at home but Deb can't stand just the smell of sauerkraut let alone a bite. I used to make corned beef sandwiches from canned, I'd mix it like tuna as a spread. Sliced and fried with eggs and fried canned potatoes made a fine breakfast in the field. Deb makes nuked, canned corned beef and cabbage as a quick dinner. 

Canned corned beef was a regular on my field guy menu. Good stuff. 

It depends on what else in in the jar if a pickled egg temps me or not. You usually see lots of peppers and I don't do much HOT anymore. There used to be a road house between Anchorage and Fairbanks called Skinny Dick's Half Way Inn. The bar had a gallon jar of black oddly textured pickled eggs behind it with a $50 prize for anyone who could eat one. 

Not tempting!

Frosty The Lucky.

I saw a billboard for that place on tik tok.  A friend of mine sends me mostly metalworking tic tok videos.  No thanks to those pickled eggs. 

Arby's makes good ruebens, for fast food joint.  Fresh is always better Aric.

Edited by Nodebt
Fix a thing

I was sorry to hear Dick sold and passed away, he was a real character. A give you the shirt off his back generous kind of good guy, saw the humor in everything. He'd been called skinny his whole life and his parents named him Richard some things are pretty inevitable. 

I used to work at a service station on an intersection of two main roads about a mile off the Glenn Highway. I had a rep for having a couple new jokes every day and had a following of regular customers. Dick made a point of stopping in when he was in Anchorage. At the time shipping to Alaska was limited so he had to drive in every couple months to make pick ups. 

We'd swap nickname insults, I even had a couple cartoons on his wall. Somewhere I have one of his custom printed condoms. I won't repeat the motto here. 

One of the things people commented on about Skinny Dick's Inn was how safe they felt, raunchy, crude adult humor everywhere but no police calls or one fight. I don't know about since Dick passed but it's still a very friendly place. Legendary.

Well worth stopping in if you're ever up this way.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

No, it's all still sitting there as far as I know.  Actually I forgot about it.  I may go back this spring for a look-see if I need a bag of seed starter or something.  It's a unique place.

Now that I think about it, might be a good place to do some Christmas shopping.