I Forge Iron

Went To The Garden Center

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooops, over primed it, kept pumping the primer and turning up the throttle MORE!:o Once it finally hits a diesel tends to run away until it burns out all the excess fuel in it. Lucky he didn't blow it up. 

If you're cranking a diesel and it's making white smoke close the throttle and till it clears. It'll usually hit just before it's completely clear and you can crack the throttle. We had an old Lister Diesel powered generator on the drill crew that took a "touch" to start. Great generator though.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got some old pics of my family. The men dressed in jackets, vests, and button down shirts... standing in the mud next to wood fence tending the cattle in July in Kentucky. I will try and dig some up but i always thought it odd they dressed like that to work the farm. 

My Sister has the family albums and there are two pics of my Grandfather John Frost, logging wearing tin pants button down shirt, vest, tie and derby. He was a topper; climbed tall trees and topped them. The Spanish flu took him in late 1918. Dad never met his Father, born Halloween 1919.

Frosty The Lucky.

Grandpa Lumir never wore anything but overalls except to church funtions.  Maybe he had a close call with a flywheel or corn auger.  His brother Rudy on the otherhand looked like he could hop off a tractor and go straight to a wedding or funeral.

In the town where I lived in Vermont, I knew a fellow who'd fallen into a running manure spreader when he was a teenager and never stood up straight again.

He later was elected as one of the town selectmen, thus becoming the most honest crooked politician I've ever met.

My Maternal Grandfather died when a tractor rolled with him driving.  Frosty: died in late 1918 with the child born 10+ months later????

My Grandfather wore bib overalls too, my mother mentioned it to me when I started wearing them---great for blacksmithing as the bib acts as protection and if anything does drop in; they are flow through to the ground.  Cooler in summer too.

Uh, , , We're an extraordinary family but not that much so. Dad wasn't born when John Frost died and I have a good date on Dad's birthdate.  I'll have to call my Sister and see if she has a good date. Spanish flu was still killing people in 1919 so I'm sure I have the time wrong.

Our families kept lousy family records, a decade ago I discovered I have about 6 cousins I didn't know about and we all look like Brothers and Sisters.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Could be worse: my wife found out just after our daughter was born that she herself was adopted, and that the woman she’d always thought was her mother’s half-sister was actually her biological mother. That was a fun Thanksgiving. 

Everything sorted out in the end. Her adoptive parents are both dead now, she’s always been close with her biological mother (even when she thought she was her aunt), and while things are so-so with her biological father, she is super-close with a sister she never knew she had.

It's nice when things work out well.  :)  It took me moving halfway across the country to meet my niece and nephews.  Kind of takes the edge off my "dislike" of pine trees, yellowjackets, fire ants, copper head snakes, crazy drivers with no insurance, crows, wood eating bumblebees, weird trees that drop their leaves in spring, and pine pollen that would clog a kenworth radiator.  I now have alergies!  :angry:

Ahhh..... The old skeletons in the closet.  I know we have them as there are documented bullet holes in the livining room floor in the old house.  No DNA evidence to go with them though.  My sisters all into DNA but I don't want to know either.