I Forge Iron

Well it most certainly has been awhile since I have posted anything on here. But i'm going to cut to the chase and ask the question, do I need to worry about what type of welding rods I am going to use to repair the cutting table on my Peter Wright anvil? Also do I need to preheat the cutting table? note I am not going to even touch the face of the anvil, just the cutting table. I will attach some pictures of it to show the extent of the damage to it. the table is very uneven and has a lot of cutting marks and a giant pit in the middle. I have 7014, 6010, and 7018, shall I use these or do I need wrought iron rods?

Thank y'all for your time and responses,

-Matthew H

p.s.: sorry for the bad photos in advance, and for clarification purposes I have almost graduated and obtained my welding certification for all processes, so I am not worried about my welding ability just have some questions. And I thank all of you for your help. 

inbound2839147045566961731.jpg

inbound4199817259201540480.jpg

inbound5990394643005418716.jpg

Honesty, sick of not being able to use it. It will indent everything that touches it, and also I want it to look good again. I understand the latter is not a very valid reason, but it would make it look so much better and function better. I will be taking a wire wheel to all of it then buffing pads with different buffing mediums to shine it up, then rubbing boiled linseed oil on it again. just needs to have some TLC and this is where i'm starting.

-Matthew H

Happy New Year Matthew,

The cutting table is not hard. You have no need to do anything to it, to make it work better. Use it as it is, don't make it into a 'Make Work Project' and end up with junk. if you want it to shine, take the high points off with a flapper disc, give it a buff and a KISS. Use what you have and enjoy it. If you are concerned about marks on the cutting table, take a piece of channel that is wide enough to fit over your Anvil (make it into a cutting table) and do your cutting on the cutting plate/table.

Think simple!!

Neil

Man if you think that looks bad, I’d be afraid to show you the cutting tables on my anvils!  Lol,

seriously though, I haven’t repaired any of my beat up anvils, I just use em like I find em, so I can’t answer your question about what rod to use,

but I thought I’d throw out a suggestion,

if you need a clean table for certain projects, why not make a hardy out of some thick plate?

It would be faster, cheaper and you wouldn’t risk accidentally harming the anvil, 

you could just keep using the table for cutting work and the hardy for clean work were you don’t want indentions, 

Is risking the heat treat of your anvil face worth making the table look better? Do you still have a hardy hole on the anvil? Use the welding to make a drop in cutting plate for the hardy hole. Or one that clips over the sides of the anvil face. The table of the anvil can be useful but at least I have never seen a real reason to try to weld one to make it perfect when if you have a welder, you can make other things to do a job. Especially if it risks the heat treat on the anvil face. 

You could do things like having a soaked rag over the face of the anvil while welding or submerging the face in water to keep it cool while welding the table. 

It is really up to you, it is Your anvil. 

The rod would probably depend on the material likely it being wrought iron. 

Weld a hardie post to a piece of plate.  Drop it into the hardie hole when you want to do any cutting (chisel - not torch).  It is too easy to make a portable hole or portable hardie hole if you want to go that route.

Use the anvil for a year (2000 hours) and then decide if you really need to modify the anvil.  In that time you will still be on your first cutting plate for the hardie hole.