I Forge Iron

New member introduction

ForgeClementRoux

Hi guys, my name's Clément, I'm 39 and I've been practicing blacksmithing and knifemaking for almost three years. Like a lot of you I guess, I began by forging my own tools (tongs, hot cutter, bending jigs, etc) and built a gas forge from a propane bottle.

I'm passionate (borderline obsessed) with forging, and I'm currently creating my own workshop to try and make a living out of it.

I'm self taught, so I'm always looking for new ideas, tips, suggestions.

I'm french, so I may make mistakes writing in english. Sorry ! :)

Welcome aboard.  Glad to have you.  If you you put your general location in your profile we can give you better answers since many things will vary with geographic location.  We won't recall that you are French.  (I am assuming that you are French and located in France but you could be French and located somewhere else in the wide world.

Don't worry about your English.  Your English is probably better than many native speakers.

If you are thinking about making a full time living from blacksmithing read all the threads on the "Business Side of Blacksmithing" here on IFI.  Running a successful business is an entirely different skill than forging metal.  Not everyone can do it or likes doing it.  Many people are good at their craft or profession but are really bad at business because they want to be doing what they love and dislike having to do "business" things.  Black Bear Forge has some good videos on You Tube about running a blacksmithing business.

Again, glad to have you here.

PS My wife said to tell you that she is 2d generation French.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard Clement, glad to have you. You're only BORDERLINE obsessed? Amongst blacksmiths that hardly counts as interested. ADHD and OCD is pretty much the norm here. We may not stick to things very long but it's GOT TO BE PERFECT!

George is right, blacksmithing as a business is actually a business first. Being successful enough as a blacksmith to make a living isn't so easy either. 

Last and maybe worst, when you start doing something you love professionally it can turn from a passion to a job.

I'm not trying to discourage you but there are a lot of things to think about and get right before you burn bridges.

Frosty The Lucky.

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma! Welcome to the forum! 

We got everything from professional production smiths to weekend hobby smiths to blacksmith instructors, to goat farmers, to…? Well we got a little bit of everything! 

I’m sure you find all kinds of new ideas and how to’s here! 

also we love pictures! so if you can, then make sure to share some pictures of your projects and progress as you go! 

Mr. Clement Roux,

Welcome to I Forge iron. Stick around, here, you will meet meny great prople and a vast amount of information.

Are you located in France or, perhaps Quebec, province? (Canada).

Happy new year, that is imminent.

SLAG.

Merry Christmas and Welcome from the Left Coast of North America,

Just another day above Mother Earth. Enjoy your Journey, there is no ultimate destination. There are quite a few French speaking / typing members. Sorry, I live in a bilingual country, but I only know enough French to know, I don't know enough French to carry on a conversation.

Neil