I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

Dear Travis,

Welcome aboard.  If you put your general location in your profile information we will be able to give you relevant information.  

Can't help you much on identification or age.  However, it looks in decent shape and my impression is that it is older than some because of its more upright profile.  BTW, age has little effect on the price of anvils unless they are more than 200-250 years old.  Size and condition are the variables that count for something for an anvil that is going to be used.  How heavy is this anvil and have you done a bounce or ring test on it?  There are some anvils around that look good but have gone through a building fire and are basically useful as a boat anchor or doorstop.

My suggestion is that you consider size and condition the heaviest when deciding whether to buy an anvil.  Used anvils can run from $US 3-5/pound in the USA.  Brand new anvils can run $US6-9/pound plus shipping or a road trip.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile and add your location. Have you seen this thread yet? Great bunch of folks there.

OZ roll call - Everything Else - I Forge Iron

It is English made from what I can see and to me looks like a Peter Wright, no idea what anvils are going for in OZ but it's a good sized anvil 176-220 pounder. so in U.S. dollars at 176 pounds $860 US seems like a good price, if it passes the ring & rebound test.

I haven't seen that thread. Pretty new here ill have to check it out.  Would it be safe to say its a forged steel anvil?   Apart from a ball bearing test what else should I be looking for before parting with my cash?

This will be my first real anvil. So any help is much appreciated.

Looks like wrought iron with a steel face to me. 

Look for cracks or signs that the face plate is loose. 

Tap it lightly all over with a small hammer and listen to the sound. If it has a crack or if the face plate has some separation you may hear a muted ring or clunk. Should have a loud, long lasting ring even when tapping on the feet. 

Nice looking anvil from here. Good luck 

Just bought this anvil. Put it on my bathroom scales and came in at 130kg, 286lb. The previous owner didn't have any history on it, and sounds like it was a talking piece in his shed and hadn't really used it.  Good ring all over and a ball bearing was bouncing back 240mm to 260mm from a 300mm drop.  Can't see any other markings on it really. 

20211213_143249.jpg

20211213_143256.jpg

20211213_143414.jpg

20211213_143455.jpg

20211213_143548.jpg

Good Morning,

It doesn't have the steps on the feet, so it probably is not a  Peter Wright. It sure looks like a Brooks, heavy waist an all.

It doesn't matter who it's 'Mother' is, give it a friendly home and give it a good name. It is in good shape and it will last longer than your lifetime. Feed it well and let it have potty breaks!! Sometimes it will have a tantrum and will want to sit still and Cool down. Enjoy the journey with your baby!

Neil

Looks good! Don't worry about the maker; I'd had my own anvil for decades before I finally figured out who made it, and that knowledge didn't make a difference to the forging. Clean it up with a wire wheel, but don't do anything more than that besides using it.

Back before Postman published AinA folks didn't make so much fuss about who made their anvil; there were good anvils, not so good anvils and terrible anvils!  You tested them and made you own decision!

It's definitely English made, wrought iron with a steel face, older---perhaps 150 years old;---notice you can tell that the feet were forge welded on!  But not real old.  My first though might be a Mousehole.  (No PW ledge, No Wilkinson crossed hotdogs, If you can see a date stamp it might be a William Foster; but there are several hundred other English makers out there!)   Try the flour trick to see if you can see any more letters.

The CWT weight stamp looks to be 2  2  10 which would be 290 pounds, a weighed weight of 286 would be *spot* on for that!

80's% rebound, no cracks and about US$3 a pound; that's a great deal here and as I understand Australia's anvil market even a greater one there!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies, my new anvil has been put to use already.  I love the history of a tool this old. Its a privilege to have it in my workshop knowing many before me have used it. Its a  testiment to the workmanship and quality that the anvil that its lasted as long as it has. 

• 3 weeks later...

A bloke selling a very similar anvil in Australia got some more information on the maker. Both our anvils had the ST stamp and looked fairly identical apart from size. I'm not sure who I'D it but I thought I'd share.

Norrisez, Stourbridge England

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Agree probably a Norris.  Dont be put off by it being a less expensive Peter Wright.  Good solid anvil.  Use care if you decide to build up edges with hard rod, preheat with a torch because you will be laying metal in on hardened steel and wrought (ish) iron.