I Forge Iron

My Apprentice

Good job! Teaching people to make is kind of rare now days and the younger you start them the better. I love the set of his jaw. 

One word to you directly though. GRIND THE MUSHROOING OFF THAT CHISEL! You can see where chips have already been knocked off! Go through all your struck tools and dress them so your Grandson doesn't get hurt!

Remember his face is too close to the struck end of tools. The SNAP sound when a chip breaks off is the sound of it breaking the sound barrier. It won't go that fast for more than a couple few feet but the smith is within that distance and it's never fun being hit by a jagged bullet.

Sorry if that came across as a rant it's not intended as one, it's a strong word to the wise. I want to see pictures of his progress posted here for years to come. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Good eye and advice Frosty, I didn't catch the mushrooming on the chisel. I still have a fragment embedded deep in my R thigh that went through a pair of blue jeans when I was about 15 years old. Doctors said just leave it alone because trying to remove it would cause more damage than it would be worth.

Mr. J. Frost, is correct,

(as per usual).

Permit me, the SLAG, to make a suggestion to make faster removal of the mushrooming. 

If the mushrooming is substantial, there is a way to cut down the time removing same.

Use a rotary tool, such as a Dremel tool, or Frodam or etc., attach a ceramic cutting wheel to cut the pieces off. Then grind the remaining rough tool edges with a grinding wheel.

I use the thinnest cutting wheel, to do the job.

The thicker ones take way too long to cut through the steel mushroom pieces.

Please use P.P.E. to protect your eyes and lungs.

Just my two cents.

Regards, to all.

SLAG.

A few years ago I had a chip from the face of a hammer go into my arm an lodge between two arteries, it happened so fast I didn’t even know what happened till I saw the blood running down my arm,

I went to the doctor she was to afraid to cut it out herself because of how close it was to one of the arteries so she scheduled me to go to surgery and have them do it, two days later

it definitely wasn’t a comfortable or a fun ordeal, 

My wife’s grandpa had a chip come off a mushroomed splitting wedge go into his leg and same story he had to have it cut out, 

Im definitely gun shy of mushroomed tools and chipped up old hammers now!