I Forge Iron

Building a new smithy and workshop in Uk

After I get power to the shop I'm planning to put a "gazinta" into the shop driveway so I can drop in a sq post with a large post vise mounted to it for when I need to swing a long bar and be able to pull it up and store it in the shop for when I don't.

Perhaps you could build a little wooden "house" to go over the outside vise when not in use?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i’ll be using largely LED lighting on the enclosed machine shop/ “clean” side. On the forge/“dirty” side,  it’s open on the front and I’m trying to make it look “authentic” and I’ll normally work with no electric light, but I’ll hang a few edison bulbs from the roof for when I do need some lighting.  I’ve only forged 2 or 3 times in the new place but I’m already finding the benefit of seeing the colour of the steel much better in a relatively dark environment.

However I have found that trying to work after dark by the light of the forge is NOT a good idea.   My smithy has a couple of fiberglass panels for skylights mounted away from the forge for daytime and I hope to put in some led shop lights for after dark.

Perhaps you could forge some "authentic looking" lights and use led bulbs in them.  I have some old lard cans that would make great "shades" for outhouse lights...

Thomas, make sure you put dim able LED lights in. I put four high output dim able LED lights in my shop and the bright light is great for most work, but I really do need the turn down for somethings.

David

Many medieval craft guild rules prohibited work after sun down because the low quality of artificial light then resulted in lower quality work.  While shade is good to see colors of hot metal darkness or very low light is not good.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I won’t be heating the place TP.  My old forge based out of an attached garage was never heated and it was never a problem. I wear shorts 11 months of the year, which my missus thinks is weird in the damp, but I like being “outside”.  Our weather is mild compared to yours I’m sure. In winter its rarely below freezing during the day and snow never lasts more than a day or two.  I’m fortunate that I’m doing my blacksmithing for fun in retirement. If it’s cold I can either:

a. Wear more clothing.

or b.  Work harder and swing the hammer harder

Or c. Stay in the house and shrug. 

also I don't want to cover up all that beautiful oak with insulation etc.

I do have a problem with condensation in the shop on some days when there’s a lot of moisture in the air.   Things will go rusty quickly but wiping things down with an oily rag is a constant activity. Not a big deal in the forge, but my lathe is suffering a bit and that worries me a bit. 

• 1 month later...

yes, a nice trunk of sold ash. Previously it was a slightly dodgy alder trunk. That was a bit light and rotten in the centre. this will last a few years. It’ll form some cracks but should hold together well. Were it cracks I’ll add some odd bits of steel screwed in to form staples so it’ll evolve and it looks good too. 

2 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

RogerrogerD, your smithy turned out awsome!!! 

I really like your old wet stone grinder on the previous page too!

If you don’t mind me being nosy what’s the manufacture? 

thanks TW. I haven’t finished restoring it yet. It’s about 120 years old and was made by “Follows and Bate” in Manchester, England. Here’s a contemporary ad, and how I bought it. 

3F6E1BCB-4FB0-4AB4-ABAB-936B6102D9C8.jpeg

843D9CE6-A4BD-4295-A55A-FBDCBE239540.jpeg

over the last couple of days I’ve been restoring these old 1930’s rusty pigeon hole storage racks. Getting my nuts and bolts, rivets, organised.  I think they fit in with the “feel” of the place. 

733069D5-DB9C-4D79-98B6-2E6FDA423B08.jpeg

391D8D6D-A88A-44EB-AB1A-7ED8F23623B3.jpeg

0F25AA01-1881-40E2-B93F-52BE11DF15F7.jpeg

856DE063-A22A-4527-AE06-1E94FC189009.jpeg

5B4A107B-8E72-4250-BE95-87E2B6B8B8F0.jpeg

1 minute ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

That’s pretty cool RogerrogerD! It looks in near perfect shape

Ive got a big old athol wet stone grinder but it’s in a lot rougher shape than yours, I’m jealous! 

Had to replace the central channel which was rusted through. Once I’ve finished the restoration, I’ll post a pic.