I Forge Iron

Building a new smithy and workshop in Uk

RRD, question on your wet grinder:  Do you crank with one hand and hold the work piece with the other or do you hold what is being ground and have a helper crank the stone?  Most of the wet stones I have seen or used are cranked with a foot treadle so that you have both hands available for the work.

Thx.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

RRD, question on your wet grinder:  Do you crank with one hand and hold the work piece with the other or do you hold what is being ground and have a helper crank the stone?  Most of the wet stones I have seen or used are cranked with a foot treadle so that you have both hands available for the work.

Thx.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The grinder has a crank handle on one side, and a treadle on the the other, so both options are possible.  I have an old “hit and miss” stationary engine from 1914, an Amanco, which I hope to be able to hook up at some point in the future - my wife refuses to do the duty of turning the crank…

• 3 months later...

just restored this c1890s Farrow and Bate blacksmith’s grindstone to sit at the entrance to the forge. Before and after pics.  Works with crank handle or foot pedal. iI intend to adapt it to run from a 1914 Amanco stationary engine I have up my sleeve. E51847A5-57A3-4A41-BD4B-459ABC10A229.thumb.jpeg.793cce028f698ce24774c764c91d7bd7.jpeg8F2289AC-A721-484D-85E6-CAABBD029308.thumb.jpeg.ff6bbda99b6348a3a62784340a273112.jpeg

Roger, 

I just looked through this whole thread and I absolutely love your shop! Especially those pictures of it at night! What a cozy place to be! I took a few screenshots to add to the list of ideas that will hopefully culminate in a shop of my own! Until then, it is the basement and the backyard for me!

• 5 months later...

Well the trunk is going just fine. Four right angle brackets, each with two big screws into the ash, and then a concrete bolt into the floor on each one, and it still solid.  The ash trunk has developed a few cracks/creaks but if anything that has pulled it all even tighter.  I’m not sure about burying it, you may have to if you haven't a floor to bolt it to. It certainly doesn’t shift when I’m working stuff in either vice. Bark has come away in one or two spots, which is fine.  If it starts to loosen up, I’ll try “frankensteining” some screw-in staples.  

180F4978-DE06-4907-9DEA-FF43CAC62174.jpeg

5C52C90C-580F-40FF-AA21-234DBB749531.jpeg

DBFA5977-78F0-4304-977F-F87A97AAE8B5.jpeg

FD3E3942-8868-4050-BF1B-C85F4A26B7A1.jpeg