I Forge Iron

Building a new smithy and workshop in Uk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t yet possess the compressor.  i’ll be getting it once the building is done. i suppose I’ll get a simple range of die grinders and angle grinders and stuff.  I might push the boat out if there ‘s any money left and get a plasma cutter. Or not… 

Good looking building.

The best thing I have found to use air for are the tools and processes you can’t do with anything else. I plumbed my compressors in but with the advent of rechargeable drills and impact wrenches they are now only used for the plasma cutter, paint spray and blow gun, tyre inflator, needle descaler (useful for texturing ground and sanded out welds) and the shot blast cabinet. I still use them for die grinders and an angle grinder/drum sander having invested in them, but the advantage brushless motor rechargeables give of freedom from the ‘umbelical’ airline or power cable means I would not be buying any rotary motion air tools now. I can thoroughly recommend the Hydrovane type compressors if you are going to be doing any heavy duty/prolonged work and will be in close proximity to it.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

No walls yet but had a pal come round and make a plinth for my swage block with the offcuts of the building oak.  Payment was a beer and a pie at the pub. ;- ) 

36F92C4C-B909-4F05-855C-88403891DF74.thumb.jpeg.39a32eaf3a423f14917ee9352aaf3168.jpeg
F2C0EC5C-F6C6-48ED-8C84-15ACF373ED57.thumb.jpeg.7bd0f6ffc187026ed265542e9d2a3ef5.jpeg

I’ll forge some right angles to hold the corners presently.

It has a slot in it so I can stand the block on its side. 

Ahh, you have to do something with all the bits and bobs left over. If you're going to plumb compressed air through copper practicing soldering is a good idea. Maybe stand outside the shop the first time you pressurize it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Vices. Two regular blacksmith post vices set up sunken into a slot and bolted down this morning on the old tree stump I have been using for a few years.  The stump is slightly rotten and is not as rigid as I’d like, so in the medium term I’ll need a replacement stump.  The other vice, set up outside the smithy (I know, I know but its most useful there is a circa 1895 Peter Wright parallel vice, that I restored a few months back.  I’m a little unhappy with it as the jaws aren’t closing straight, so it’ll need some attention. Its the Uk so they’ll all be damp, I’ll keep oiling them up. The latter is on a chunk of “knotty ash” which although it has some creaks in it seems fine for now. 5EF4871C-6A2E-4B2A-AD63-6752B8EE0AA5.thumb.jpeg.6091db7154096b557c5ee4936fd1ad44.jpeg292DA5B0-D65D-4001-B285-0E2909933D7F.thumb.jpeg.92d9d5944e3ebb314209d07d0ca345b1.jpeg