I Forge Iron

Bamboo, dig it up and out

About ten years ago my wife and I had the bright idea to plant some bamboo to act as a screen to hide an ugly hillside where we removed a lot of dirt & rocks to use when our 1/2 mile steep driveway washed out during a monsoon. We had our neighbor who had a nursery that specialized in exotic bamboo put it in. He is basically an expert in bamboo horticulture. To address our concerns about bamboo taking over an area, he said this strain of bamboo doesn't spread much especially how he would plant it in our rocky ground. He used his back hoe to dig a trench about two feet deep, three feet wide and thirty feet long, which he filled with good dirt & compost. The rocky ground would contain the bamboo.

That worked very well and the bamboo didn't jump out of the area. It became very dense and worked just like we had hoped as a screen. Then last winter which was unusually cold all of the bamboo died off. This spring, it started to grow again with a vengeance. The decision was made to remove it because The new growth did start to take over the area.

I checked with Google about how to remove bamboo. Simple huh just dig it out with a shovel and be sure to get all the runners & root system out. I went out there with a shovel and found out hitting the root system was like trying to shovel through concrete.:angry: 

Bright idea, I have a tractor with a front loader, that'll get it. First attempt to dig with the bucket to get out all the roots was a joke. Note to self need another plan. Attempt two, shear off all the bamboo with the bucket and burn it in a huge pile. Still no luck digging out the roots, that stuff must be made of Kevlar. OK the box blade has scarifier's, I even made one in the shop, time to put it to the test. That seemed to work, if I pulled ahead a couple of feet then lifted the blade to rip up the root system. Then I could use the bucket to dig it out. That root system & runners was about a foot thick & three feet wide.

Been at it all week (although when it got too hot had to knock off) start early and get about four hours in. I had to dump the dirt and grade it to separate the roots/runners from the good dirt. I now have a pile of roots & runners four feet tall and about eight feet in diameter. I plan on burning that too. Humm wonder if it would work as forge fuel...

100_2177.thumb.JPG.d530fea73f7f61001b92569e059b842c.JPG

100_2175.thumb.JPG.d161d0620af740d8fe45c5951f8749c1.JPG

Sounds like a real pain. 

I'd like some bamboo plants to use for different things but I deffinately dont want to have to deal with an issue like that in the long run. Bad enough I'm slowly battling wisteria that grows fast and comes back faster than I can cut it back. One day soon I plan to have it wiped out. 

I did manage to save a jeep from the original plant I demolished. Unfortunately now it is using the jeep as a safe growing space. 

My grandfather planted it and always wanted to see it bloom. Well it bloomed after his passing then turned into a wild raging beast. 

We were out house hunting and looked at a place that had a field of bamboo out back that had been cut down to the ground.  We passed on that one but drove by it two weeks later and it had grown back and was easily 6' tall.  There were sprouts all over the yard as well.

Frosty, the flowers are beautiful and smell nice but the plant is just so aggressive. It even strangles itself twisting and vining.  The runners go out and take over neighboring trees as well. 

I've seen ones that have been maintained and controlled, but thats gatta be a full time job for someone or a crew. 

Nodebt smart move passing that one up. 

I think about the only safe way to grow the stuff is in a concrete container with high walls that could contain a nuclear reactor. 

Lisa and I were at the garden center on Saturday looking for a new clematis plant, when I heard her say, "This trumpet vine looks nice." Having waged a multi-year war (ultimately successful, thank goodness) with the neighbor's vines coming up on our property, my instant response was "BACK AWAY SLOWLY."

15 hours ago, Nodebt said:

We were out house hunting

Outhouse hunting Scott? I don't know if I would've brought that up even on Iforge. 

13 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Frosty, the flowers are beautiful and smell nice but the plant is just so aggressive. It even strangles itself

Kudzu I've heard about, imported to this side of the planet as animal feed wasn't it? 

So far the only invasive plants are just something for the local environmentalists to wring their hands over. Not saying we shouldn't try to limit invasive species, just that we don't have any insidious ones here. So far. 

We have berry bushes, raspberries, blackberries, etc. those can take over in a big way but there ARE rewards for plucking their unborn seeds. Mmmm.

I wonder if it'd be possible to sic kudzu on wisteria after it strangled the bamboo? Then finish the kudzu by herding in as many of the livestock that eats it as it takes.  Sound like a plan?

Frosty The Lucky.

Goats, sheep, horses and cows love kudzu and all but the vines are edible for humans, makes a good survival food but most folks don't know that. It is comparable to spinach. The truth about Kudzu.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/true-story-kudzu-vine-ate-south-180956325/

Hmm. Kudzu, bamboo shoots and japanese knotweed are edible for humans. Prefer an edible invasive over non like wisteria. Lol.

Well maybe I need to borrow a goat. I'll have some free time coming up so I might be able to take on the wisteria and have it on the runner to just mow and weed wack the rest into oblivion.  One psychotically anger driven night I took care of most of the original Bush. Now to get the hillside and trees it took over. And my old jeep it is growing through. 

52 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Outhouse hunting Scott? I don't know if I would've brought that up even on Iforge. 

I don't care, as long as it has a nice shop out back....  Maybe put it on skids so I can't be taxed on it.  Call it a mobile home!  :) 

Das, you need a flame thrower.

Thinking I can cut it out of the jeep then time to move that jeep to another spot. That way I can mow the area regularly till it is gone. The jeep wound up there because I couldn't move it further with my tractor. My daily driver jeep has a little more umph in pulling.  Honestly I wouldnt mind on That jeep but it keeps growing through the windshield frame and body acting as a wedge. Ugh. If only it worked to my will. 

Wisteria man! Crushing opponents and breaking concrete to rubble. 

A long time ago I unwittingly set out to pull a bunch of what I thought were wild grape vines out of a a row of pine trees.  I was at it for a good fifteen minutes before I realized what it was.  That was THE worst encounter I ever hope to have with poison ivy!  Leaves Of Three, Let It Be!

Hairy vine, no friend of mine!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

poison ivy vines large enough to tap for the sap...of course an inventive nerdy teenager would never do anything like that!

Were you trying to make urushi-nuri?