I Forge Iron

Can't forge weld - workpiece cooling too fast

I'm trying to forge weld two relatively thin pieces of steel, but in the time it takes for me to move them from the forge to the anvil and grab my hammer, they've gone from yellow to dull red. I simply can't move any faster. Is it physically impossible to do this?

Put an anvil on or next to your forge. When i am trying to weld small stuff i set a block of 4140 that is about 15# on my forge. You do not have to hit it real hard to get the weld. You could even use a sledge hammer head to do it. I use a coal forge so i can just skootch some coal away for enough space. If you are using a gasser you may have to rig up some kind of table or something.

Goods beat me to it.

Move the operation to the fire and have the hammer in your hand before you take the work out of the fire. There are lots of ways you CAN move faster and we'll be happy to help you.

If it's REALLY thin you can use a HOT pair of flat tongs to set the welds by squeezing the joint while it's in the fire.

Frosty The Lucky.

I commonly forge weld billets of Bandsaw Blade and pallet strapping, 20+ layers at a time so possible.  Note that having good scarfing and good atmosphere control helps when welding in the fire.  I've seen several century old pieces that used 1/16" real wrought iron welded up too, what alloy(s) are you trying to weld?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a piece of 2" plate I lay on the barrel stove when I light it, when I come back after breakfast, coffee and the morning news it's hot enough to lay on the anvil while I get my stuff laid out.

Frosty The Lucky.