I Forge Iron

Royds Works?

I have an anvil made by Royds Works, and I'm curious if anyone else owns one or has seen one. When looking for other examples on the internet I did not find any. I do not believe the maker is mentioned in AIA. The shape of it really closely resembles many Mousehole anvils, so perhaps it was an off-shoot of Mousehole and was either a small shop or only seldomly made anvils. This one is 173lbs and has a punched pritchel hole, so it was likely made post 1830.

IMG_2713.thumb.JPG.798bcd22ccc20ff1839815ab541e728b.JPG

IMG_2718.thumb.JPG.159cf806debf2716cc052d29670edea9.JPG

If any one owns one, I'd love to see a photo of it!

Thanks

I'm thinking it was made for a specific customer that wanted their shop name stamped in it. The Cwt leads me to believe it was made in the UK. and very well could be a Mouse Hole. The name above it looks like ER Haurrig, have you gone down that rabbit hole search? No matter who made it, if it passes the ring & rebound test it will make an excellent shop anvil.

Thomas: I likely will contact Postman directly at some point, but I just thought I would ask here first.

Irondragon: I think the name on the first line is either "ER LAURRIGG", or "ER HAURRIGG" I did not really find anything about either name. However, it is a very nice anvil to use regardless. I think the anvil was made by (rather than for) Royds Works because I found this entry on the Sheffield History forum:  "John Hatthronthwaite Winder Merchant and steel, file, anvil &c. manufacturer Royds Works"