I Forge Iron

Portable cordless bandsaw recommendations

If you like scruples you should try Scrapple!  Back in my teens I had a friend who told me that if I had scruples someone was missing theirs!  He said that "I had no scruples but I had morals; my best friend had scruples---but had no morals!"  Se we said that between the two of us we had a great latitude in things we could do!

I married the eldest of 12 kids of a professional meat cutter/butcher.  My wife grew up eating a lot of things "not common" to many people's diet.  Our kids learned quickly *not* to take the lid off of any large pot on the stove as they would be happier NOT knowing what was in it! ---First time dinner looked back at them was enough!   (She's finally found a recipe where I like beef tongue after 30+ years of trying!  However liver is right out---she can fix that to her hearts content when I am out of town---if not in a different country altogether!)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, JHCC said:

What about scrapple with morels?

Might be good, I loved scrapple and eggs until I found out what it is, IS being a rather broad range potential ingredients. Or trimmings from the good stuff as I see them. 

I don't eat organs . . . willingly. I admit that if I'm hungry enough NOTHING is off the table but pleased to report I've ever been close to that hungry. I was offered kidney pie once, I hope I don't have to tell you what that smelled like. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I got very lucky the first time I had haggis: it was made by a friend who was not only quite a good piper, but also a very talented chef (indeed, he’d been chef de cuisine at the St. Regis Hotel in NYC). Good stuff. 

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Might be good, I loved scrapple and eggs until I found out what it is,

You might like the Cincinnati German version called goetta better. It's all meat trimmings, spice, and grain. There's a local company called Gliers that makes the best version. I did always joke about the mortuary across the alley from their Covington KY location though. :o

Pnut 

There's a meatless version that's just grain called groeta that's pretty good sliced and fried crispy too. 

6 hours ago, pnut said:

I did always joke about the mortuary across the alley from their Covington KY location though.

My father lived for a while in a nursing home in Texas that was across the street from a company that made cast concrete burial vaults. Definitely one-stop shopping.

18 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Definitely one-stop shopping.

You're close enough to Cincinnati to maybe know what goetta is. If not there's an annual Goettafest in Covington's Mainestrausse Village that has goetta in every possible way you can think of  Have you ever had it before? 

Pnut

Pnut

I know goette. For yall that dont it is pronounced "get-a" short "a" sort like "get a job" or " get a that nasty stuff off a my plate." :lol: 

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

However liver is right out

I love me some liver an onions. When i was about 4 or 5 years old me and my parents went out to eat. The waitress asked me what i wanted and i said liver and onions. I guess form what my mom said she gave me the weirdest look and looked at my mom who said that is what he wants. Yes even as a kid i liked liver and onions. 

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't eat organs

My daughters will not eat stuffing at Thanksgiving after that discovered that i cut up the heart, liver, gizzard and the neck to put into the stuffing. They loved it till they watched me make it. 

Deep fried chicken gizzards and livers smothered in ketchup are the only innards (at least that I know of, who knows what they slip in sausage etc...) I care for.  And they are good!  Morels are a delicacy around here, people hunt for them during the short window they are available in the spring.  They sell for $20 + a pound.  We used to hunt them on the river and around creek beds.

Seeing as we have drifted away from Porta-band's, let me relate this about corded saws.

My wife bought a Bauer portable band saw from H/F December 1, 2017 and gave it to me for a Christmas present. She bought the 2 year extended warranty then. I used it several times cutting 1/2 X 3 inch flat stock to make dies for her guillotine she made and some other small jobs. Everything I cut with it went smooth but didn't do a lot of work in 2018-2019 because the horizontal/vertical band saw was quicker and didn't need setting up.

Then covid hit and we didn't do much in 2020 (nothing with the Bauer). Anyway yesterday, I decided to modify a small table for a new BBQ and had to cut an inch off the half inch angle iron legs (perfect job for the porta-band).  Cut three legs like butter but on the forth one the saw quit cold (grrrr).  I had to finish the cut with the 4 1/2 inch angle grinder.

Today even though the saw was 2 years out of warranty, I decided to take it to H/F to see if they could send it out for repairs or something. I told the clerk my "tale of woe" and she said "no problem would you like to exchange it?" I asked how much it would cost and she said nothing. Could have floored me with a feather.  I did buy the 2 year warranty on the new one. How about that?