I Forge Iron

Sail Ho!

Chenier

It wouldn't have been a disaster you just can't make a smooth cut on a copper alloy with a bit sharpened for steel. I don't recall the angles but Dad used to brush the point on a sharpening stone blunting it SLIGHTLY. There are specific angles for all three faces, that're more obtuse so the shavings come free without tearing. 

I know there are a couple guys here who know the specifics, hopefully they'll speak up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx. I found a reference on the internet that gives angles for many different kinds of metals. It being the internet, I'm planning on a test bit or two and a test piece or two before digging into the real thing. It's not like I'm a pro at this ...

If it doesn't cut cleanly a little sand paper will fix it. It can just be really frustrating when the cuts come out rough no matter how slowly you feed if you don't know what's happening. 

Don't follow the old illustrations made around the turn of the last century the steel in the bits is better and you don't need such extreme relief.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...

Finished turning the sheaves. Had to make the mast first so I'd know what diameter to make the masthead sheave ...

879341248_430Roundingtheoutside.JPG.46d5df66fc10d2787a505da928b4750a.JPG

164033310_438ThreeSheaves.JPG.c414dfadcf9874a9ad80086cf746f238.JPG

Not the smoothest machining in the world, but they should work. The largest of the three is from the billet I hammered out in July.

I have used a charcoal forge for both forging and brazing with bronze, pretty easy to control the heat with air flow. Incandescent color is a function of tempiture, so getting the core of the fire to the same color as the desired forging temp is all you need. The first heat is slow but it dose make it a bit easier to not melt the stock.

• 3 months later...

That is beautiful, it'd be tempting to make a piece of furniture out of it rather than get it all wet. I hope you'll post some pics of her first trial so we can believe she's actually a boat rather than a fancy coffee table.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of my search hits was the NOVA on PBS but there wasn't much of a write up and I didn't want to buy the DVD. ESPECIALLY if they didn't launch off a castle roof using a bathtub full of concrete weighted catapult.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks for the tip. Fortunately my audience is so wowed by the bling factor of the bronze that they don't notice it's been amateur hour at the anvil. I'm looking forward to doing some methodical skills-building now that the boat is out of the shop.

• 2 months later...