I Forge Iron

Take this one home with you

twar

Oooh! :o Looks like at least 25-30 tons to me. Any word on make and model to look up specifics?

I'm betting it goes to the scrappers if they can't find someone to take it, they only want it gone. I don't think it'd fit under the roof in my shop and mine's pretty roomy. 

I doubt I could afford to have it moved to a port let alone shipped. Heck it might be cheaper to ship it through the Panama Canal and to Anchorage than what it'd cost to truck it from the East coast to Alaska. 

As much as I'd love a screw press I'll hold out for something smaller.

Frosty The Lucky.

The best thing about processing your own black walnuts---It doesn't take many to flavour something!

Back in Arkansas there was a place that commercially processed black walnuts and had a huge pile of husks & hulls with a FREE sign on it. I know of someone from elsewhere who loaded up a pickup load and mulched their garden with it; took over a decade before they could grow anything in their garden again.

Sawdust and planning chips from black walnut can kill a horse if used as bedding in their stalls.  (I once worked in a custom woodshop and local horse owners would clean out the sawdust pile *EXCEPT* when we did a load of walnut and locked the gate till it was all otherwise disposed of!)

Hmmm, a giant pile of free shells screamed out furnace fuel, in my mind. Then all the posts about how toxic walnut is makes me wonder if the smoke is toxic too. 

There were hundreds of acres of walnut groves around us where we lived when I was 6 till maybe 9. All that acreage is tract homes now. No wonder I guess. I have fond memories of that house, three days after we moved in a Jet trainer doing touch and goes, crashed into the house across the street from us. I was in school, Mother and my Grandmother were shopping. The police physically restrained Dad from checking the house until things were under control. 

The Van Nuys Airport / Feds bought the sub divisions and extended the safety zone another block to our street. Gave us a great view, we could see the Castle and the Mountain when they built it, at Disneyland. And boy did another 100' make us feel safe! What actually increased safety was that airport was decertified for military training. The pilot was too low on approach and snagged a power line with a full fuel load. 

The lady in the house was doing dishes but the phone rang so she was away from the window when the jet hit the front yard about 30' from it. The walnut tree shading the front of their house slowed the burning jet fuel long enough for her to grab her cat and get out the front and only clear door before the house went up like a torch. Her little dog followed her out. They ran across the street but nobody was home at our place so she ran next door to call the fire dept. The house burned to ashes in about 30 minutes from what I recall. Another 15-20 seconds and she would've been trapped. 

Bet you didn't think there was a walnut connection to that one did you? B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Who knows where the subject of black walnuts may lead.  I would relate the story of the "voodo" walnut tree the farm next to mine had but my thumb would be stoved in from the effort.  My kingdom for a keyboard!  It was, is and always will be creepy.

I wonder if horses get canker sores from black walnuts like I do.  Maybe the shells and hulls don't work the same way.  They might not eat themselves to death on it if they did.

Mr. Nodebt,

I am not sure that horses can get canker sores like you seem to get.

But horses do get laminitis from walnut bedding.

And cases can lead to lameness and even death.

SLAG.

The walnut chemical juglone, in walnut trees, inhibits apples, tomatoes, pines, birches, beech, and alfalfa. It plays a big role in plant chemical warfare. The phenomenon is called allelopathy.

Mr. slag, I did not know this about horses.  I thought they ate the hulls and shells.

I do indeed get canker sores from them, but it takes eating a lot.  Once again I turned to google and found out the amino acid L-Arginine is the cause.  Mom baked with them and I never had much self control but the taste was worth it!  We used to toss them all over the gravel lane and the grinding action of the tires driving over them removed the hulls.  Then we we spent hours of cracking and picking out the meats.  Thanks for the information on juglone.

Scott

Mr. Nodebt,

The plant (walnut), does not store juglone in the fruit. a.k.a. walnuts. The rest of the plant have juglone in the, the nut hulls,  leaves, roots, bark etc.

The chemical's function is to 'poison' other plants nearby. Juglone is not soluble in water so it tends to stay in the root zone of the soil. And it breaks down slowly. that's why other susceptible plants,  do not grow in soil that has had juglone (in it).  It can take a number of years for the ground to be rid of juglone. (bacteria break it down).

Enjoy your walnuts, I like them too.

Regards,

SLAG.

When I was little, we used to sprinkle black walnuts over vanilla ice cream and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup. Ah, necktie of the gods!

There was a place near where I lived in NYC that would occasionally have doughnuts rolled in crushed butternuts. That was also something really special.