I Forge Iron

can this anvil be saved

New guy here looking for some help.  I'm just getting started setting up  for forging.  One of the first items on my list is an anvil.  I'm retired so funds are tight.  A gal I use to work with has this laying in the shed.  I haven't seen anything but the picture.  Is it salvagable?  My thoughts were to fill the chip with weld and then put a plate over the top.  Looking for suggestions.  Thanks.

chipped anvil 2.jpeg

chipped anvil.jpeg

Anvil repair is a VERY tricky business and not something you want to jump right into, even if you're an experienced welder. There are some good threads on the forum about anvil repair, and you should read them over before you consider taking such a task in hand. (You have read the "Read This First" tab at the top of the page to learn -- among other useful skills -- how to search the forum for the subjects you want, right?)

That said, there's a lot of work that you can do on that anvil even without repairing it, so long as the unbroken parts of the face plate are still solidly attached to the body. So long as it rings clear and has a decent rebound, paying a low price for an damaged anvil can be a great low-cost entry into smithing.)

Like John said, there is still lots of usable face and edge on that anvil. 

Check the rebound and that the rest of the faceplate is still solid and if so it's a user. I'd atleast use it as is for a good while and if that missing section is really hindering what you want to forge then look into repairing it if you feel the need.  

Note you don't just "put a plate over the top". It needs to be a full penetration weld so there is not a bit of the plate that is NOT welded to the old face---and then you need to heat treat it.  So buying an anvil in better shape would probably be cheaper...However that would be a fine starter anvil as it stands!  Have you looked at the "improvised anvil thread?"   The London Pattern anvil has been around about 300 years while a big block of metal has been used for anvils for 3000  years!

https://iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/

I get a lot of use from an anvil that is missing its entire heel and I have the base of a PW that broke at the waist weld and was then used a lot as the top is soft wrought iron and has been mushroomed.

• 1 month later...

I have a question that slightly pertains to this. I recently got into smithing and picked up a Soderfor in very good condition. After some smithing I noticed a very small crack in the face of the anvil. Should I be concerned about this?

KIMG0525.JPG

KIMG0524.JPG

Well; it would worry me; since I know soderfors anvils are one-piece cast steel. does the pitch change before and after the crack if hit with a small hammer ? This usually lets you know how deep the crack is. 

Even tough it "looks" easy to fix with a stickwelder and a grinder; it really isn't.  

You didn't mention the price but if it's not expensive that would be a good anvil for learning the basics on including hammer control. If you miss a strike it won't matter as much. As everyone else said there's plenty of usable real estate on that anvil.  

Pnut

It's an 88Ib that I got for around $500. It looked like it had never been used. I haven't missed a stroke and struck the anvil so this came as quite a surprise. I'm just worried because I spent the extra cash for the piece of mind.

I wasn't paying attention to the dates. I was actually replying to the op:rolleyes:. A crack like that would definitely make me worry. As said by others if there's not much of a change in pitch around the crack I'd just try to avoid that spot.  Welding an anvil takes some specialized procedures. It's way above my pay grade. Maybe someone with actual experience using the Gunter Schuler method of anvil repair will chime in soon. Good luck. 

Pnut